We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best time to go

essex
Level Contributor
372 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
best time to go

Hi, was ask by a friend when is the best time to go to the tryp when its not busy, said i would ask you guys as i dont have a clue,

i did say i would gues aug/sept/oct but just a guess

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best time to go

Sept Oct are quiet times to go, Although note it's hurricane season

saskatoon
Level Contributor
1,896 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best time to go

I have gone around Nov. 5th as well and got good deals

Great Yarmouth...
Level Contributor
803 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best time to go

Avoid the Canadian Spring Break, Late Feb, early March time. Would have to check with Canada somehow.

Durham, Canada
Level Contributor
273 posts
1,705 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best time to go

As you pointed out, Canada has a couple of Spring Breaks covering University, College, High School. Usually around Feb 20th for most Universities and around March 11th for the rest. Christmas/New Years is also a very popular time and would be crowded. Avoid the Canadians :-)

London, Canada
Level Contributor
838 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best time to go

Sadly the posters who advised to avoid Canadian spring break are absolutely right. Canadian students have a reputation for less than civilized behaviour, They can be abusive, destructive drunken boors and tourists from hell. In April I spoke to a taxi driver who told me during spring break at the Tryp Canadian students had driven a motorcycle into a pool and took a pony up to the second floor of one block. Disgusting. They should be put in jail.

essex
Level Contributor
372 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best time to go

sound a nightmare when they are there, i am shocked they dont get banned, cant be nice for other people who are trying to enjoy there hoiliday.

glad i dont go then

Great Yarmouth...
Level Contributor
803 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best time to go

I think the main problem at the Tryp this year was the very high numbers. Apparently they did some deal with a tour company that only deals with 'spring breakers' - similar to our 18-30, because , and I am only repeating what we heard, management and owners were changing and bookings were low. Security could not cope, but the bars kept on serving.

We enjoy the company of Canadians in general but the youngsters did let them down this year. We usually go in March and this is the first time the 'spring breakers' have hit this part of Cuba. Fortunately we were at the Sol Cayo Coco, but families from the Tryp were coming to our hotel every day to get away, so we did hear all that was going on.

Stony Creek
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: best time to go

You shouldn,t paint all the students with the same brush. Not all British soccer fans are hooligans ,or are they?

Great Yarmouth...
Level Contributor
803 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best time to go

Very true. We are hoping it was a one off, in small doses, I am sure they are fine - just not used to drinking alcohol at home ( if the drinking age in Canada is the same as USA ) until they are 21. I do have to admit there were some very noisy people from all age groups, so can't just blame the 'spring breakers'.

essex
Level Contributor
372 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best time to go

thanks for all your comments

so aug/sept is a good time if you dont want it too busy then ?

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco