We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

passports

Durham, uk
Level Contributor
115 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
passports

Morning all, I understand that you need a valid passport to travel, valid meaning with at least 6 month remaining on the day you travel back. I didn't realise untill last night just how close my 10 year passport is to being "un-valid. my passport expires on the 29th March 2012, we are off to the Melia cayo coco on the 8th sept , we return on the 22nd of sept . This means my passport will have 6 month and 7 days remaining on it. I understand that this is "at least 6 month remaining" but I get a bit twitchy about things like this. I am fairly sure I will be fine and don't realy want to re-new my passport untill a later date, unless anyone out there tells me different ???

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: passports

"... valid meaning with at least 6 month remaining on the day you travel back..."

===============================

Not true for many countries and certainly not for entering Cuba. (Cuba asks that UK Passports are valid for only 2 months after departure.)

It's exiting the UK where the 6 month rule comes into play and by the letter of the law you should be fine, but I have no idea how sticky UK Check-In Agents are about this.

That said, if the rule is 6 months exiting the UK then how can they argue with 6 months + 7 days? Seems cut-and-dried to me... I'll be curious to hear if any UK traveller has ever been hassled over, "cutting it close..."

Cheers,

Terry

Edited: 02 August 2011, 08:46
Consett, United...
Level Contributor
20,033 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: passports

As you are in Durham, drop in and get the correct and up-to date information from the passport office.

It is also good to know that if you renew passport now you will have the remaining months added onto the new one.

I have been at check-in when some one who was close to expiry was hassled, but I went through so did not see the outcome.

It is not the problem getting into Cuba it is getting out of this country.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
100,372 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: passports

I would do as diva suggests but you will be OK. The check in staff may just point out to you that you will need to renew your passport before you travel next.

Level Contributor
602 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: passports

My hubby only has 5 months left on his passport. We were also concerned about this as it is less than the 6 it states on your tickets. We spoke to checkin at manchester and were told it was ok with them but check with cuban embassy. Cuban embassy said 2 months is needed. Wanting to double check I rang tcook and asked why it said 6 months they said they state this to cover any unexpected problems.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
100,372 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: passports

Must have cost you a fortune in phone calls but thanks, anyway, for clearing up the issue.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
20,033 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: passports

With a passport that has only 5 months to go get it renewed. They will add any remaining months onto the new one.

Not in your case but they add up-to 9 months if passport needs redoing.

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: passports

thanks for clearing this up my children have 7 months when we fly out on the 21st want my daughter to have a 10year adult one

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: passports

meant to put for nov when she is 16

Level Contributor
602 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: passports

Yes bellagio but hubby was worried he would be stuck here as I would still have been boarding the plane to cuba. Rather have a large phone bill than jeopardise what will be another amazing trip to cuba.

Level Contributor
602 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: passports

we have just returned back from guardalavaca and my hubby had 5 months left on his passport this was not a problem in england or cuba.

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco