We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proof of Health Insurance for Cuban Customs Immigration

Burlington
Level Contributor
274 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Proof of Health Insurance for Cuban Customs Immigration

I have health insurance with my company group benefits - When calling them to ask about my coverage and proof of it for my trip to Cuba - they instructed me that Cuban customs officials relaxed their entry requirements last March and now only require a provincial health card - e.g. Ontario OHIP card - Can anyone verify this is it true? Will I also need to show my Manulife Group Benefits card at Customs?

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
48 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proof of Health Insurance for Cuban Customs Immigration

I travelled to Holguin in April and did not have to show any proof of medical coverage at all. This being said, I had taken my Great West Life card along with a letter from them stating I have out of country coverage.

Marmora, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proof of Health Insurance for Cuban Customs Immigration

I personally wouldn't go without proof.

hfx
Level Contributor
4,425 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proof of Health Insurance for Cuban Customs Immigration

also good to check to see how much your group benefits cover, mine didn't cover repatriation so I bought extra travel insurance through my car insurer. Getting in to Cuba, not too hard, leaving with an outstanding medical bill, that's another story.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
4,830 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proof of Health Insurance for Cuban Customs Immigration

I don't think they have really relaxed their requirements. Since the new rule was brought in (May of 2010), I understand they have accepted Canadian provincial health care cards as proof.

Since you have the Manulife card, take it along, and you will have that proof of coverage as well.

ontario
Level Contributor
79 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proof of Health Insurance for Cuban Customs Immigration

Never been asked at customs since they started but always have proof just in case.

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proof of Health Insurance for Cuban Customs Immigration

Always better to have it with you. Ever since the rule came in several years ago we have never been asked but always had it just in case. The time you don't travel with it is the time you will actually need it so for the sake of a little card or piece of paper better safe than sorry.

Burlington
Level Contributor
274 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Proof of Health Insurance for Cuban Customs Immigration

Thanks for your help all - some great advice -

Vancouver
Level Contributor
5,614 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Proof of Health Insurance for Cuban Customs Immigration

Call manulife back . the agent I talked to directed me to a page that I printed off. It had the phone numbers and info for affiliated agencies in Cuba. And no like others said....I was not asked for this info at customs

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
418 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Proof of Health Insurance for Cuban Customs Immigration

Most major credit cards also offer a Proof of Health insurance document, especially the Visa Travel rewards card. It doesn't cost any extra, they'll send you the document to keep as proof of insurance. Once you get it, you don't need to request it each time you travel to Cuba. We've never been asked, but I keep it with my travel documents just in case.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,392 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Proof of Health Insurance for Cuban Customs Immigration

Just a heads up to be cautious to read the terms and conditions of insurance coverage offered on credit cards. Some credit cards may have t&c stating that the trip must have been paid for using that credit card, so if you paid by cash or by another method, you may not be covered.

As well, check to see who the insurance is provided through, being vigilant if it is an American company – for example according to the information on the ScotiaBank website, “The Group Policy (is) issued by American Bankers Life Assurance Company of Florida”.

scotiabank.com/ca/en/files/11/08/cc-Certific…

I am not saying that the insurance offered through the ScotiaBank credit card does not cover Cuba (it is secondarily offered by World Travel Canada) – but I am suggesting that people should read and understand fully the t&c of their policy and ask questions if they aren't clear whether they are covered or not for travel to Cuba.

Another caution relates to exclusions which may read to the effect; “participation in professional sports, speed contests, dangerous sports or events including recreational scuba ...”. “Dangerous sports” aren’t all identified; so don’t assume that you are covered for everything that you do.

Don’t be surprised if injuries related to an “accident” with a scooter or a vehicle MAY not be covered, as the DFAIT info on Cuba warns that “Canadians should avoid driving in Cuba; driving conditions can be hazardous.” While that may be an over-statement, it may be enough for an insurance company to attempt to dismiss a claim.

voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/…

Ditto for incidents that happen while under the influence of alcohol. Seriously, lots of people have a few too many drinks sitting around a pool, but if you slip on the wet tiles and break a leg, the insurance company can negate your claim for medical coverage based on a clause similar to; “illness or accidental injury sustained while under the influence of drugs, medication, alcohol or other intoxicants”.

It is a very, very small number of tourists to Cuba who will have the misfortune to need to use their insurance, but that doesn’t negate that everyone shouldn’t be aware of their coverage before they leave.