We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how much research do you do prior picking your vacation spot

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
how much research do you do prior picking your vacation spot

Going to Cayo Coco for the 2nd time, been to Cayo Ensenachos..never been to the Tryp and am so looking forward to going...

Read all the new reviews and am always eager to find new info or tips about the resort. this one takes "the prize" for lack of research and pre-planning. Not sure about you guys but been to 7 AI so far and none provide more than 1 large or 2 small water bottles per day. You want more, ask and you shall receive; in terms of extra perks for VIP, well, they paid a lot more $$$ for VIP so yes, they are entitled to the special treatment..

tripadvisor.ca/…CHECK_RATES_CONT

Very misleading review of what appears to be a "seasonned" traveller but look at the previous reviews posted, not much in terms of AI.

Edited: 04 December 2011, 19:38
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how much research do you do prior picking your vacation spot

Weeks and weeks. That is if its a resort/country we've never been to. Ask tons of questions from the experts for the area as well as for those who have stayed there. Either on the forum(for that area or country) or if more personal through PM.For example when we went to Grenada it took us the better part of 3 months before booking the trip. Boy are we glad we did. The info from TA friends was spot on.

Cheers

Carleton Place...
Level Contributor
841 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how much research do you do prior picking your vacation spot

Same here. Heading to CC for first time in 9 days. We do not tend to go to one place over and over so I will never be an "expert" on a specific spot..however many travel considerations are similar wherever you go. Did LOTS of research before booking...and AFTER booking while getting prepared. Info on here is excellent ...though must be taken with a grain of salt. Biggest thing...read the fine print, don't sweat the small stuff appraoch everything and everyone with a positive attitude and regardlless of any hicups. and there are ALWAYS hicups.....it will be an enjoyable vacation.

Carleton Place...
Level Contributor
841 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how much research do you do prior picking your vacation spot

Oh and OP.......I have been to AI's where the fridge is filled with 5 or 6 bottles of water and restocked daily...not on a VIP premium package. HOWEVER I always bring a large reusable water bottle with me (not for boose for water) Just as I do when at home. And I refill it throughout the day at the buffet where the water is all filtered. I never have to worry about not haveing filtered water with me. Sometimes being prepared and using a little common sence goes a long way.

Ottawa ON Canada
Level Contributor
441 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how much research do you do prior picking your vacation spot

Same here. Lots of time spent looking at reviews and photos and asking questions on travel forums. It's the best way to avoid surprises. I look at this prep time as an integral part of a vacation and enjoy doing it.

Alberta
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how much research do you do prior picking your vacation spot

Same as CubaTraveller.

northwest ontario
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how much research do you do prior picking your vacation spot

I too spend scads of time researching...the easiest part is picking the country :)

Our trip this year is Varadero/Havanna...next year, who knows? Return some where we've already been, or try the MCSM area...

Cheers

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how much research do you do prior picking your vacation spot

I always spend a lot of time researching, reading the reviews and comparing the different resorts.

As for bottled water, given they are endless refills what does it matter how many are in your fridge? That being said we have often asked the maid for a couple extra as we do use them for brushing our teeth or if we are going on a trip, they have no issues with providing that for you, or if you want you can purchase extra in the store. However with the free refills why spend the cash.

In many of the resorts we have found what is touted as the VIP or extras via Nolitours etc really isn't worth "paying" extra for. On one Nolitours extra we were supposed to get preferred rooms and check in, would have been great but everyone on our plane pretty much had exactly the same package so the lines were just as long and the rooms were all over the resort.

As long as we have a clean room, a nice beach, decent food and friendly staff our holiday is made....

8. Re: how much research do you do prior picking your vacation spot

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 05 December 2011, 15:01
Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how much research do you do prior picking your vacation spot

The title of the review "It's not Cuba" is misleading to many ways, specifically for people whom have never been to the most pristine part of Cuba. Been to the Cayos X2, returning for the 3rd time and we find that this is Cuba at it's purest, in our opinion, but someone else may have a different point of view. The Cayos are not for someone looking to do a lot of "off resorts" visiting, within a few minutes of the resort, exploring and mingling with the locals, It's best for pure and total relaxation. While many enjoy exploring the culture of the mainland, some enjoy the Cayos and enjoying spending more time oin a quiet beach setting away form the bustle of other mainland destination but to say that the Cayos are not Cuba.....

All the employees are "locals" and they, more than any mainland resorts employees, have to travel much further for the opportunity of employment. So yes, you will get some local flavor" just by spending time with them..on our 2 previous visits, we were invited to go to a resort employees home to share a meal and meet their family.

And, ALL resorts are built for tourists. This resort is also not an AO, as such, you can expect some noise and all ages, including 20 + years old enjoying getting a drink. When alcohol flows freely and you have young adults, chances are they will enjoy those perks.

It just frustrate me when someone post a negative review and had a bit more research been done , regarding one own's expectation of a destination, may have prevented a disappointing outcome.

We've not been to the Tryp but have researched it for 2 months prior to booking. We sent PM to many, I log on to the forum everyday and we use the experts for very specific questions. We know that it does not meet all of our expectations and we know this before even going, However, the price is right within our budget and we know what to and what NOT to expect. We know that we will have to give extra $$ to get extra water, we know the food of Cuba is not 5* preparation and taste, we know we will have a 1hr taxi ride to the mainland, we know the rooms are dated. We know that the beach is narrow. We know that there are noisy and quiet areas and room. We plan ahead and once planned, then we enjoy!!!!!!

Sorry about venting, this one really frustrate me.

Alberta
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: how much research do you do prior picking your vacation spot

Please note that there are still allot of people who use Travel Agents and trust and believe what they are telling them. It is not their fault that they are thinking and believing that they are going to get the holiday that has been presented to them in the travel brochure. So it is only natural they are going to come home and scream out their frustration in a review.

Heck you can research up to your eyeballs and talk to all the people you want and still be in for a huge let down. How a resort is run changes during the year and the quality of your vacation is going to be a reflection of the kind of support the Management and Staff are receiving from the head honchos of the hotel. You can go to a resort and have the most amazing holiday, return a few months later and be stunned at how bad things have gotten.

If people would only understand that negative reviews can be a huge favour for your upcoming vacation.

As for bottled water I expect extra bottles of water and I refuse to pay for it, this paying for extra bottles of water has become a little game in Cuba and is total crap at an All inclusive resort. Like seriously the bottom line is you are tipping for the extra water, toilet paper and towels. The people who do not tip pay the price. then again what do you think Guest Services are for, forget about the front desk.

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco