We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cayo Coco or Cayo Santa Clara

Creston, B.C.
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Cayo Coco or Cayo Santa Clara

We will be going to Cuba the end of Jan. and are trying to decide between Cayo Coco or Cayo Santa Clara. Are there any major differences between the two? We are mostly interested in being able to snorkel from the beach as well as rent scooters to explore the island. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Brampton
Level Contributor
970 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cayo Coco or Cayo Santa Clara

Hi there,

I have been to both Santa Clara and Cayo Coco and love them both. I cannot comment on the Snorkeling as I never did it however the only draw back for me for Santa Clara is the 90 minute bus ride from the airport. This to me is the deal breaker. If It wasn't for that I would return in a heartbeat. Its a gorgeous place.

Cayo Coco is a short 15 minute bus ride from the airport and also a gorgeous place.

Both are great spots in Cuba.

Stella

Edited: 28 December 2011, 16:25
Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
300 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cayo Coco or Cayo Santa Clara

Have been to bothe but the drive of 1 1/2 hours or a little longer is the draw back for Cayo Santa Maria. While there is an airport on that island, it is not able to handle large commercial aircraft, maybe someday.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
417 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cayo Coco or Cayo Santa Clara

Haven't been to Cayo Coco, but I love Cayo Santa Maria and don't mind the bus ride at all - I find it goes by very quickly, and I love the scenery and towns along the way if you get the trip during daylight hours. But I've driven back and forth across all of Canada multiple times by myself, so I may be a bit biased in what I find long or short in terms of driving. My mother has been to both and prefers CSM.

Someday they'll have to either expand the Las Brujas airport, or build a new one closer to CSM as they continue to build more and more resorts...

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cayo Coco or Cayo Santa Clara

I haven't spent enough time off the resorts at Santa Maria to make a fair comparison.

Am I correct in saying there is more to do off resort on Cayo coco and guillermo than Santa Maria?

To me there are hotels, beaches, and the pueblos on Santa Maria. Any thing else?

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
417 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cayo Coco or Cayo Santa Clara

You are correct, CSM is all about the beach - have to get back across the 50km causeway to go explore. Which I don't find that big a deal really if you're there mainly for a beach holiday, easy to get a cab to Caibarien, Remedios or Santa Clara, etc (or rent a car if you prefer), or do the excursions. But definitely you can't just walk out of the resorts into any kind of action. Bikes (or mopeds) can be rented for fairly cheap to explore the Cayo itself, but I don't think I'd venture onto the causeway.

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,246 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cayo Coco or Cayo Santa Clara

Lots of info and pictures here:

www.cayocococuba.net

www.cayosantamaria.info

Two beach vacations, both remote from the mainland. I've been to Cayo Guillermo (next to Cayo Coco) and I prefer the beach at Cayo Santa Maria. But the beach in front of the Melia Cayo Guillermo was really nice too - just very different.

Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cayo Coco or Cayo Santa Clara

one of the differences to consider is the beach: more choppy at Santa Clara, very shallow and calm in Cayo Coco and especially Cayo Guillermo (island just off Cayo Coco)

Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cayo Coco or Cayo Santa Clara

one of the differences to consider is the beach: more choppy at Santa Clara, very shallow and calm in Cayo Coco and especially Cayo Guillermo (island just off Cayo Coco)

canada
Level Contributor
181 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cayo Coco or Cayo Santa Clara

cayo coco also has a great spa just minutes from many resorts,lobster shacks and the cave bar for dancing at night. the little train will pick you up and drop you off at your resort.I prefer cayo coco, calm beaches and you can walk about to other places if you like to walk. scooters are here as well as bikes at some resorts. My pick is La Laguna. quiet yet busy, georgous landscapes and the best staff I have ever come across on any vacation.

Ontario
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cayo Coco or Cayo Santa Clara

Just back from CSM and there was no snorkling ! The first part of the bus ride was decent going through the towns but the causeway is just ...boring IMHO. The beach was great ...but i like calm to swim in to which is wasn't. Never saw a moped. I agree with the person who said CSM is strickly a beach vacation. I am headed to CC in Feb and hoping for much better :)

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco