We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using a Kindle in Cuba

Owen Sound, Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
Using a Kindle in Cuba

Does anyone know if I can use my Kindle to download books or use the the Wi Fi will I am in Cayo Coco . My wife and I are heading to the Sol next Friday, and I am not sure if I need to load up with books before we leave. Looking forward to some reading on the beach!

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using a Kindle in Cuba

Which hotel are you staying at? Wifi is not available at many properties through out Cuba...

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
100,649 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using a Kindle in Cuba

No Wi-Fi at that hotel or on Cayo Coco, so you will need to load up with books before you leave.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
15,713 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using a Kindle in Cuba

Sorry I missed the Sol part..Ditto Above!

Owen Sound, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Using a Kindle in Cuba

We will be staying at the Sol. I was / am not sure how the Kindles - WiFi Whispernet works. Thanks

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,257 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Using a Kindle in Cuba

My understanding from previous posters is that Kindle (the downloading functions) does not work in Cuba. And since you're going to a hotel that does not have wifi, then you will only be able to use your Kindle to read to books you already downloaded before coming to Cuba.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using a Kindle in Cuba

Yes, make sure you have your books on your Kindle before you leave.

Owen Sound, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Using a Kindle in Cuba

Thanks everyone- I will start downloading now ! Hopefully next week at this time the temperatures will be hot and the drinks cold.

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,437 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using a Kindle in Cuba

You will have three hours at the airport before you leave to peruse and download books from the Kindle store. Works for me! ;-)

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
151 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using a Kindle in Cuba

Just a note on Kindle WhisperNet. It works off of 3G cellular data, as we all know (or should know), there is no 3G or cellular data of any kind in Cuba.

You can check WhisperNet coverage here:

http://client0.cellmaps.com/tabs.html (link from: www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html… )

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using a Kindle in Cuba

Technology is one issue but the bigger issue is the US Trade embargo.

In order to fully use your 3g capabilities you need this lifted.

Even in Canada we had to wait some time before Amazon struck a deal with Rogers. Now we can surf the internet for free but that option wasn't always available.

I like reading email on the beach with a Kindle.

Edited: 15 January 2012, 15:00
Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco