We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Bell Mobility just for texting in Cayo Coco

belleville
Level Contributor
336 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Using Bell Mobility just for texting in Cayo Coco

Hi there, We leave for Cayo Coco in a few weeks and I have read and heard mixed answers if you can use bell mobility for just texting while there. I have spoken to Bell and they "say" that 30 bucks for 100 texts includes roaming. I am good with this since I just want to keep in touch with my kids and emailing sounds horrendous. I am wondering if anyone recently had success using Bell in Cayo Coco for texting. Thanks!

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
2,812 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using Bell Mobility just for texting in Cayo Coco

With Rogers incoming texts are free and outgoing are 60 cents (couldn't find a plan).

Turn roaming off to avoid unexpected charges and just use SMS.

For Bell i could only find international info for sending outside of Canada. Send from abroad, I found:

International text from abroad

When you send a text message while roaming internationally, you'll be charged $0.75 for each message sent. Text messages you send while you're abroad are not included in your rate plan. Text messages you receive while travelling abroad are charged the same way they are when you're in Canada (i.e., messages included in your bundle are free and messages outside your bundle are $0.15 each).

Edited: 11 February 2012, 14:23
belleville
Level Contributor
336 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using Bell Mobility just for texting in Cayo Coco

Thanks James!

canada
Level Contributor
181 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using Bell Mobility just for texting in Cayo Coco

i have an i phone and bell mobility. Purchased a text plan international so in coming texts are free and 25 cents for sent texts.they have cubacel which worked great and fast with my phone.just don't forget to turn off your data roaming feature..I had no problems texting home daily..Calling was expensive.

belleville
Level Contributor
336 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using Bell Mobility just for texting in Cayo Coco

Judie that is great info since I have an iPhone as well. Thanks!

toronto
Level Contributor
759 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using Bell Mobility just for texting in Cayo Coco

As soon as you turn your phone on when you are in Cuba, Bell sends you a text informing you of the charges. (The .75 is correct per text). I did send a picture by text, that was over $11, so you may want to share those once you return!

belleville
Level Contributor
336 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using Bell Mobility just for texting in Cayo Coco

Ooh Thanks for the heads up Wanni! Wow! 11 bucks?! Crazy!

canada
Level Contributor
181 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using Bell Mobility just for texting in Cayo Coco

75 cents is true if you don't purchase the text plan. I was charges 75 cents the first year and contacted bell prior to going the next year and they set me up on the 25 cent plan.

St. Albert, Canada
Level Contributor
215 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using Bell Mobility just for texting in Cayo Coco

I was just in Cayo Santa Maria for New Years. I am with Bell and have an iPhone. All but 2 days (New Year eve, New Years Day) we were able to text, very easily. Charged 75 cents a text. Incoming texts (if it's in your plan) are free. I found this cheaper than purchasing a text plan, (international, which gives you a deal) because I didn't text very often. If you are planning on texting a lot, probably cheaper to get the plan.

I'm going to Cayo Coco on March 24th, and internet is not an option (soooo slow....) so texting is the way to go! Haven't been since 2008, and I'm so looking forward to going back.

I would contact Bell and find out about their plans (or check on their website under international plans) and see what would be cheaper for you. Have a great time!!!!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Using Bell Mobility just for texting in Cayo Coco

Ther charge per text is only if you don't add the plan. If you stay within the 100 texts limit you won't have extra charges. Do not send photos they are not included in you 100 free texts and make sure you plan included free incoming texts and Ont you out going count toward your 100.

Bell does have a few international plans so make sure you have the right one for what you want.

ontario
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Using Bell Mobility just for texting in Cayo Coco

What about bbm? our whole family has "crack-berries" and i would love to be able to keep in contact with my daughter while away...isnt blackberry to blackberry free when you are using bbm?

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco