We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to go? Whats it like in January?

wirral
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to go? Whats it like in January?

Hi never been to Cuba was thinking of Cayo Coco in January cab anyone let me know if this would be a good time

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
101,486 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to go? Whats it like in January?

Not really for Cayo Coco. It can get rather cold in the evenings. Cold by Cuban standard that is. I would try Holguin.

Cavendish, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cayo Coco
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to go? Whats it like in January?

I like Cuba in January a little cool but nicer then Canada.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
448 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to go? Whats it like in January?

The weather will surely beat the northern hemisphere's by a mile, but it can get a touch on the cool side in the evenings and early mornings. Pools and the ocean will most likely be on the chilly side. On the other hand there's far less chance of rain then later in the year.

Sault Ste. Marie...
Destination Expert
for Cuba
Level Contributor
2,715 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to go? Whats it like in January?

Yes, a little cool. Definitely sweaters for night-time and morning.

Waterloo, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to go? Whats it like in January?

We went to Cayo Coco in January twice - it was quite cool the first year. The next year we wore sweatshirts all week. The one good thing about it, there were no mosquitos - their little wings were no match for that wind blowing off the ocean. Since then we go to Holguin and have had much more pleasant temperatures.

Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
17,041 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to go? Whats it like in January?

January is the coldest time of year in Cuba - and I doubt there is much difference between Cayo Coco or Holguin if a cold front hits.

It is also in the middle of the busiest period with some of the highest prices.

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to go? Whats it like in January?

Been in December and January....both times weather was great but the water was a little nippy. No need for long sleeves or jacket but the weather can be hit or miss..

ontario
Level Contributor
186 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to go? Whats it like in January?

Went to Holguin once in January, never again. One whole week of not a person in the pool (to cold) and only a few in the ocean. O yah it’s warmer than Canada in January, but for a week’s vacation in the sunny warn south … not even close !

Level Contributor
438 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to go? Whats it like in January?

Wayyyyyyyyyy too cold for me. Also went to Holguin one year at begining of january and could not put my foot in the pool or ocean. It rained a bit and it was like icicles hitting the skin on the beach. I suggest the Caribbean side of Cuba during the winter months. Much warmer. Just my opinion.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
308 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time to go? Whats it like in January?

we went last january,never needed a jumper t shirts for the full fortnight went jan 18th,going again this january,won't be taking jumpers either.agree with mosis in january did not see one for the whole fortnight

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco