We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who to book with, Air Canada Vacations or Sunwing ???

london,ontario
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Who to book with, Air Canada Vacations or Sunwing ???

Going to the Melia Cayo Coco with a group of 12, any thoughts which provider to book with? Same price and departure time . I know there is good and bad to both, looking for a good reason to choose one over the other. Thanks

montreal
Level Contributor
10,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Who to book with, Air Canada Vacations or Sunwing ???

If they are the same price i would take Air Canada as you can have extra weight that Sunwing will charge for it ...

As for the rest to be honest the are all about the same except for the food Sunwing will give you a free meal and Air Canada they will charge you for it ...

Calgary
Level Contributor
169 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who to book with, Air Canada Vacations or Sunwing ???

Last time we flew with Air Canada we weren't even eligible to pay extra for exit seats cause we didn't belong to the million mile club. We like extra leg room seats and to pre book.

We have gone with Sunwing 5 times in the past few years and have not had one bad experience. We also take the Elite Plus for $99 which allows you to pre book extra leg room seats, priority check in, priority luggage,30 kg of luggage and $50 credit for your next trip.

COTU
Level Contributor
177 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Who to book with, Air Canada Vacations or Sunwing ???

Between the two, definately Air Canada. They offer better in flight entertainment options, better seat spacing and if the plane has a problem, Air Canada has lots of spares, Sunwing not so much. (lol). The luggage allowance is 2 bags @ 50lbs checked, 1 carry on @ 20lbs and 1 personal bag (eg: computer @ 20 lbs.) But as long as you get there and back safely and relatively on time, it's all good!

Cheers

toronto canada
Level Contributor
103 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Who to book with, Air Canada Vacations or Sunwing ???

Haven't flown Sunwing for three years since I had to spend a week in Cuba with no clothes! They did give me a daily allowance which was useless as the hotel was in the boonies and I couldn't buy anything. They knew the luggage had been left behind and was sitting in their office all week. I guess that can happen on any airline, it was just my turn. AC would probably have more planes going and there may be a better chance of getting your luggage to you.

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,246 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Who to book with, Air Canada Vacations or Sunwing ???

Wow missie, talk about bad service! I was under the impression that Sunwing could have used any airline going to your destination to deliver your suitcase. Did you travel by yourself? When I travel with my son, I take two suitcases and I mix our clothes in each of the suitcases (instead of having one suitcase with only his stuff and one suitcase with only my stuff), that way, if one suitcase gets lost, we can still function for a week. That's one of the best pieces of advice I got from reading this forum and I share it with as many people as I can!

To the OP: The carry-on allowance on Sunwing is half that of Air Canada, at equal price and similar departure times, I'd go with AC. And as was pointed out above, Sunwing's fleet is much smaller that AC's, so if there is a delay somewhere, the domino effect on Sunwing can wreak havoc on their schedule.

victoria,bc
Level Contributor
28 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Who to book with, Air Canada Vacations or Sunwing ???

We are flying west jet to melia in nov. You might want to check them and they offer a 10 day if 7 isn't enough and 14 is too much.

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Who to book with, Air Canada Vacations or Sunwing ???

If all else is equal, I would take Air Canada.

AC has a bit more leg room and a huge fleet should one plane have mechanical problems prior to take-off. I also find their reps at the resort one notch better in quality. That's a big thing if you have resort/baggage problems. Never had a problem with Sunwing and flown all the carriers. I go with the cheapest.

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
280 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Who to book with, Air Canada Vacations or Sunwing ???

Missie my friend had the opposite problem. We flew to Cayo Coco with AC and her suitcase didn't arrive. All week the AC rep said it was coming on the next flight which never did. Fortunately for her she did pack a few things in her hubbies case and t-shirts we had packed to give away, we gave her to sleep. If you are in Cayo Guillermo the nearest shopping is 1 1/2-2 hours away. The suitcase never did show and we picked it up at Pearson when we flew back into TO. We now mix and match in each other's suitcases when we travel so at least there will be some outfits to wear!

Edited: 29 September 2013, 19:29
D&E
Hamilton
Level Contributor
358 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Who to book with, Air Canada Vacations or Sunwing ???

I don't know if you can fly with AC any more. We heard that you have to take "Rouge" down south. The cut down version of Air Canada. New planes and even uniforms. It seems that AC is cutting back while the other are giving you little extras.

Stewiacke, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Who to book with, Air Canada Vacations or Sunwing ???

I have never flown with Air Canada Vacations but this is our second time booking with Sunwing. We didn't have any issues in April when we flew to Varadero with them and hopefully we won't in April 2014 when we go to Cayo Coco with them. In our case we chose Sunwing this time because they were about $400 cheaper per person than Air Canada. We pay extra for the Elite Plus so we can pick our seats, have priority check in and extra baggage etc.

The tip about mixing two people's clothes is an excellent one! I have never done that but will next time.

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco