We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excited but hate flying

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Excited but hate flying

Can't wait to get there hate flying tummy churning already any tips to help nerves when flying

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
97,961 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excited but hate flying

I try to sleep at much as possible on the flight to relieve the boredom. The other advice is to watch the films to help take your mind off the flight.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Excited but hate flying

Bring a book, or crosswords, magazine, anything that will let you concentrate on something besides the flight.

( I like getting slightly hammered as well)

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excited but hate flying

Wud. Be so bad if they let u use e cigs lol

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
777 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Excited but hate flying

I'm the same way. I always get excited once I book the trip. However, as the time gets closer the stomach starts to churn thinking of the flight. One bonus to this is that I get so nervous starting about a week or so before I can't eat too much so I always drop a few pounds before vacation.

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,253 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excited but hate flying

You can also simply decide to have fun and enjoy the flight instead. Yes, it is a choice, you can absolutely choose to see things diffently, which will trigger different feelings. It is in your power to do so, without a doubt.

Note that if you decide to have a couple of alcoholic drinks, be sure to also drink plenty of water, as altitude causes dehydration, same as alcohol. Not knowing that years ago, I had a massive headache when I got off the plane after only 3 drinks!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
5,504 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Excited but hate flying

I should state here that flying doesn't make me nervous, the taxi ride to the airport in winter is more of a challenge.

I wouldn't actually recommend someone who is nervous to drink as they will probably overreact with the booze. I've had to be next to too many people who over do it and become a nuisance for the balance of the flight. My remark was a bit flippant.

I just like to get a mild buzz and read myself into a zen like state.

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,253 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excited but hate flying

I'm with you there sssnakes! I don't do the mild buzz when I'm with my son, but I used to do exactly that when I travelled solo! Let's hear it for Club Class, LOL!

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
91 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excited but hate flying

I am a very nervous flyer yet I travel all the time. Ask your Dr to prescribe something for anxiety/panic attacks, a small dose of Xanax really made a huge difference in my case.

Good luck.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
564 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excited but hate flying

Check to see if your airline will do a mock flying exercise with you. I know of someone who was terrified of flying and arranged with the stewards to get on board a plane, take a seat, buckle up, etc. She is claustrophobic and had an emergency landing experience once hence the fear of flying. I know this trial run really helped her with her fears.

Or try deep breathing and meditation.

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Excited but hate flying

It gets easier everytime.

I used to be terrified, now, no biggie at all.

My only problem remains the bathroom... Still can't help but picture the plane ripping apart as soon as I get in there and flying thru the air by myself... LOL, sorry if you hadn't already considered that scenario. Tends to make one a lil pee-shy.