We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

are there any independent trips

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
are there any independent trips

Been on cayo coco .net,and looked at the excursions ,for a poor country i think they are taking the michael with the cost of excursions considering most ppl are couples,travelled to most destinations on the globe ,and never come across such high cost of trips ..It wouldnt take you long to go through a couple of hundred quid....Are there any proper priced independent trips....

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,674 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: are there any independent trips

I don't hang out on the Cayos but I'll bet there are no independent operators who are allowed to operate out of the resorts.

That said, there's nothing stopping you from negotiating your own taxi/driver and going to do your own thing. I think you'll still be stunned by the price though in this "poor" country.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

hfx
Level Contributor
4,976 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: are there any independent trips

I've always found the prices quite reasonable; are trips at home less expensive?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: are there any independent trips

Appreciate that terry ,i usually rent a motorbike ,but like a clown ive booked on the most isolated hotel on guilermo,,and it will take me ages to get to the main land before i start exploring....it looks like ill be beach combing for two weeks ,im ok with paying a reasonable amount for activities ,but certainly dont believe in extortion,,,with most trips for two ppl costing over a hundred dollars....im just saddened by the people who are willing to pay such high amounts....last year i went to zanzibar and again silly prices for europeans based in hotels ..fortunately i rented a motorbike and did all the advertised activities independently ,,at maybe one tenth of what the tour operators were asking....swam with dolphins for about 20 dollars each ....cuba 169 dolars wow....boat trip 75 dolars wow....

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,674 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: are there any independent trips

Jordy, the causeway alone is a 54 km round trip. Throw in the drive from your resort to the start of the causeway and then the drive from where it reaches the mainland to wherever you want to go and it's a LONG commute. Add the fact that you're a captive audience on an isolated tourist enclave where there isn't even a local Cuban town and you can understand why transport is so expensive...

Cheers,

Terry

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: are there any independent trips

Yes i realise that Terry,i booked hotel in haste....thinking cost of fuel and average wage times by two or three and we should be in the right region ,,but the prices dont marry up with the costs,,,looks like bus trips for me and a pack of cards....i may change the hotel if i can get lucky.....

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,388 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: are there any independent trips

Jody. Being from the colonies...lol. I had occassion in 2012 to vist London. The excursion trips I took were just as expensive as in Cuba. I'm sure if I had looked around I could have found cheaper but went with a reputable company. Most of the tour ops in Britain are roughly same prices for their tours. Cuba is no different. Hope it works out for you.

Cheers

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: are there any independent trips

As far as I know, all of the excursions are regulated by the gov't. It's easy to find independent tours in Varadero (I've done Havana for less than half the official price) but not in the Cayos.

Don't forget the hop on/off bus for 5 CUC. I would not call it an excursion but if you are totally bored.

Take a cab to Playa Prohibida and spend an afternoon at Lenny's. Best dinner you will have.

Lots of areas where you can snorkel for free and get just as much to see for free.

The hobby cats at the resort are free. The guide will take you out for 10-15 min for a tip.

If you get to know a bartender, you can ask if they know someone who will do an independent tour for you. When we were in Cayo Santa Maria, we got 6 people together and hired a van to do Remedios tour. It ended up being half of what the excursion would have cost.

Southern Ontario
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: are there any independent trips

Jordy: We've been to Cayo Guillermo numerous times (one over from Cayo Coco. It is so easy to get a private driver and do and see what you want. If (and you probably will) find someone else who is interested in sharing costs - you will get a staff member with connections. I remember once getting a van with 6 of us plus the driver and we saw things that you will never see on a guided tour; and it will be peanuts when you are all sharing the cost. Give the driver a lunch in Moron or Ciego, sit and talk to him - he will drive you forever. (Not to mention the tips he receives after a long 10-12 hours of listening to Canadian/British tourists with their own opinions. You will have a gas; talk to your fellow guests; talk to your staff - You will be amazed what you can do.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: are there any independent trips

I agree with sund0g, that would be the best way to do trips independantly, although I have always thought the organised trips good value for money much better value than rip off Britain.

Edited: 12 November 2013, 22:19
Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: are there any independent trips

Jordyjack, if you want a price list for trips, I have one. You could send me your e mail by PM (private message)

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco