We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs

Macklin, SK
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Bugs

Does anyone know if the mosquitoes are bad year round in Cayo Coco? I'll bring bug spray regardless... I'm just curious what to expect.

Thanks!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
302 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugs

Hi Sandra D,

I thought I'd bump your post up because I'd like to know too. I did a search and found a thread you might want to see:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g580450-i10244-k616…

In short, they say the bugs are a problem year round but more so in the summer. I went to Cayo Santa Maria last May and got bitten (I'm assuming Cayo Coco is similar). It was always around dusk. They also sprayed around that time. I'm not a bug expert but I remember a documentary that said certain mosquito species only bit at certain times. My guess is that they spray when the mosquitos are biting.

I think, like you, I'll bring bug spray and after bite. This will be my first trip to Cayo Coco. Can anyone else add any insight into this?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
308 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bugs

went last jan to tryp never got bit once,going back same time 23rd but you never know,just take plenty of spray and take vitamin b once a day a fortnight before you go

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
6,287 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bugs

A lot of the bites are caused with sand fleas. Best to change your towel at the end of the day so you have a clean towel to take to your room. Also use plenty bug spray as others have said, I also use plug ins for the room.

toronto
Level Contributor
60 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bugs

i tend to be bitten....cayo guillermo was worst for me....when the wind dies down the sand flies come a eating ( i had to go to the hotel doctor the bites were so bad and so many)....my wife wasn't even touched....i've tried everything including the american 30 deet and the strong stuff u can get from mountain equipment coop......nothing worked better for me than the insect repellent u can buy in cuba at the hotel stores (honest to god it lists ingredients as: insect repellent)...worst i had was early in the morn on the beach...but damn mossies and sand flies just like me....bring some anti-itch cream if you are prone...regards

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
302 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bugs

pansypotter-7, changing the beach towel sounds like a sensible move. It also sounds like this is fairly common and not just localized to one resort. I saw a couple of people comment about bug bites in Memories Caribe. I'm usually safe, but like raul25, my wife is prone. I think it is because she smells so nice. I wonder if I still have old bottles of insect repellent with 95% deet in my camping gear. Can't buy that in Canada anymore.

saskatchewan
Level Contributor
349 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bugs

Sandra D, you are from Macklin, think of Cuba as one long Sask. wet Summer, mosie and sand fleas year round and prepare for such. But during this past week, I'll take my chances any time over wind chill of minus 50C. Enjoy.

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,532 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bugs

No Brainer!

Happy New year Mojito!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bugs

Hola

-50 for love of god, that's got to hurt just going outside....for a cigar..lol.

Cavendish, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cayo Coco
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bugs

Bugspray & afterbite, the mossies really come out at night.

Macklin, SK
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bugs

Thanks of the info everyone!!!! Yes I definitely am ready to try the bugs over the cold.... :/

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco