We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private tour of Countryside

Greenbank
Level Contributor
32 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Private tour of Countryside

Has anyone booked a private tour of the countryside between Cayo Coco and Moron? I would love to see the farms and how the people live outside of the city.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private tour of Countryside

The best person for this particular type of tour would be Paulino Lopez Delgado. Here is Paulino’s cellphone number: 53-5267-3207 . You could also write to the Tryp hotel. This is the last address I have and in the subject line put message to Paulino Lopez Delgado . jefe.cac.tcc@meliacuba.com. He has done extensive trips in the area you are describing, can take you to Cuenagua Hill, the wetlands, show you the flora and fauna, in particular the birds, and also take you right into the fields to show you the crops and the sugar cane harvest. He also has extensive selection of books to illustrate further the topics as you pass by. If you ask, he probably could even take you to a working farm to show you how people live and work.

Greenbank
Level Contributor
32 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private tour of Countryside

Thank you for the information.

Do you know how far the TRYP is from the Playa Coco?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private tour of Countryside

It is only a few kms. He uses their email address for communication but will call you at your hotel and arrange to pick you up there. He really services all the hotels in Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo since he is very highly professional in his field and will provide a high quality tour, adapted to each person's specific requests.

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Private tour of Countryside

Gloria,Never had the pleasure of meeting Paulino. Sure would like to. He sounds very professional. The Good Guias usually are . What shines through are two common traits . Passion and Pride!

Could you tell me if He is a in high demand and well sought after? Wondering if we would have to book his services well , in advance. We will be traveling with a fair size group with many diverse, wants and needs, and varying age groups . I would think some of us would love to spend some time with him. Will give him a shout!

Gracias for the contact info.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private tour of Countryside

It would be best to contact him through the email I have provided and specifically give details of number in group, interests and any other requests. He is often commissioned by international groups, doing birding tours in particular but can easily adapt to any situation, even providing multiple day trips. Many people here often talk about hiring a taxi driver, but he charges about the same, can speak several languages and he is highly trained. He worked in Cayo Coco prior to the construction of the first hotel, now the Colonial. He designed the landscape of the area, what plants should be planted, he fought tooth and nail to maintain as much of the natural vegetation to be preserved to prevent the erosion of the beaches as most hotels wanted to rip up the beach marigolds and other indigenous plants in favor of palm trees, which do not do well in these areas and do not prevent the loss of the natural integrity of the area. He knows all the little known places that are overlooked by other people in favor of educating his clients in a most proficient manner so that all his clients are coming back with a sense of learning more about the natural beauty of the areas he shares with you.

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Private tour of Countryside

Thanks,

I'll have to ask around to see who would be interested in a tour. We have twenty five or more going in March. Not saying all will go , but I'm sure a few would be in to it .

Wow , so he's been around since the creation of this tourist area. I'm sure he has mixed thoughts of all the development. At least he was included in the design ad plans of the the whole process. I recall when we first came to the area in '97 , the guides were all saying the area was protected and even Fidel was on board with the preservation of the ecosystem . Seems like financial gains are more important now.

Paulino must be concerned.

Thanks again, I've noted his email.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private tour of Countryside

In 1993, I visited the science centre next to what is now the Hotel Tryp. At that time the Tryp was only a cleared area of land and only one hotel was on Cayo Coco, the Guitart which is now the Colonial. I spent many days learning from the scientists and was able to see the whole area marked off into zones. The hotel zones were clearly marked and protected areas. Now all the areas that were protected are hotel developments, the Playa Prohibida, Playa Pilar, and Playa Flamenco. I actually remember when Playa Flamenco had flamingoes and Playa Prohibida had an entry fee to walk the nature trails there and the guys who now are doing the restaurant were the ones who took the money and provided guided walking tours of the trails. Now all is up for grabs, easy pickings for anyone who can provide money to construct new hotels.

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Private tour of Countryside

As I read your posts I can tell you were very passionate about the area in the early days before human types came to the keys. Well besides local fishermen, I suppose.

It is a constant, "Push -Pull" situation, with us. Love the beaches but can't help but be concerned about the effect tourism has on the surrounding mangroves, its inhabitants, and what land there is around .

It is depressing to see, but I suppose education is key factor in the future of the keys.

A day spent with Paulino would be step in the right direction!

Salud!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private tour of Countryside

Let me know how your adventure goes.

10. Re: Private tour of Countryside

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 05:20
Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco