We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Pillar

Edmundston, Canada
Level Contributor
133 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Playa Pillar

Playa Pillar, the name keeps popping up here and there, this will be my third time in Cayo CoCo

but have never been to the Playa Pillar before. We will be staying at Pestana, so we will not have sodas, or beer in the mini fridge. We would like to go spend an afternoon at Playa Pillar, but we would need some thing to drink and maby munch on. Could some one inform me on the facilities at the playa. are there any washrooms , and a place to purchase any thing to drink. I also heard about the 2 story bus. is that how we go to the playa?

hfx
Level Contributor
4,739 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Pillar

To get there you can take the bus or a cab or there is an excursion that includes a meal at the beach restaurant which also has drinks. Good food there

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,474 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Pillar

There is a beach grill that serves very good food, and has a good variety of beverages.

You could bring your own but the double decker bus tends to take a long time. Your ice in your soft sided cooler might melt by the time you get there. Ataxi would be my choice.

It has clean washroom facilities, but as usual inCuba,bring some T paper.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Pillar

Don't necessarily look for a double decker bus, it is sometimes broken and a coach is used, saying Local bus. Chairs are 2 CUCs and the food is good at the grill. The local bus is 5 CUCs and is possible to use for multiple stops and the price is good for the day.

PEI
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Pillar

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g147270-d64…

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Pillar

The bus schedule alternates between the double decker bus and a regular coach. The hotels I have stayed at post a sign with the bus schedule...more a guideline really as the bus is usually late:) As I recall, the bus leaving from Cayo Coco to Playa Pilar around 9am was the first double decker of the day and it fills up fast in high season. It was running as of the end of December. Enjoy!

Pembroke, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Pillar

The bus takes a long time and gets very busy, its a cheap way to get there though. The is a restaurant there but this also seemed to be extremely busy.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
13 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa Pillar

We have arrived to Playa Pilar on Sunday, and this is maybe the worst time to visit it because there are coming lots of touris buses with cuban tourists and so the beach was overcrowded. there was no jelly fish (I have read in may reviews that there are many.. maybe not their season? we were in December..)

We had a wonderful lunch in the beach restaurant, very good camarones (shrims) on the grill and beer.. the service is very slow but you are on vacation, not a problem.

A real problem was expecting us when we have left the beach and came back to our car. We had our small backpack with IPAD on the back seat , and we have carefully locked the car, and the backpack was not visible due to dark windows in the car.. Nevertheless, there was no backpack!!!! WHAT A BAD SURPRISE!!! We have tried to find the guy to whom we have paid for parking but he was not there, so we expected again for half an hor and then gone to the Cayo Coco police station which is a 30 min drive.. The policemen do not speak English at all so it was almost impossible to explain what has happened... They even did not understand what is Ipad...

It is a pity. There are few peopole who come to Pilar with their own car, most of tourists arrive with day excursions, but anyway it would be great that the parking could me MORE SECURE!!

TAKE CARE !!

8. Re: Playa Pillar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco
Recent Conversations