We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tryp or Sol Cayo Guillermo for shore snorkeling

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
309 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Tryp or Sol Cayo Guillermo for shore snorkeling

Which is better for snorkeling Tryp or Sol Cayo Guillermo. If the snorkeling is around the same at both which would you recommend and why?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
564 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tryp or Sol Cayo Guillermo for shore snorkeling

I was at IB Mojito in May and found the shore snorkelling quite good - coral that is close to shore with many schools of fish. I would imagine that Tryp, next door to Mojito, has coral too. I did take the catamaran out several times to go to the reef further out so I would say that the shore snorkelling would not be enough to satisfy an avid and experienced snorkeller. I believe Guillermo is very shallow so your best bet would be a catamaran from Playa Pilar

Edited: 15 January 2014, 22:36
S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,500 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tryp or Sol Cayo Guillermo for shore snorkeling

Straight out from the Sol there is absolutely nada for snorkeling . You have to go around the point to the right to get where the good stuff is. No weeds or sea grass for critters to hang out. in. You can see your pinky toe ring in 4 feet of crystal clear water. Ya I know , that sucks! lol

Don't get me wrong, there are fish that come and nibble at your toes . Not sure where they come from but they are there and they are curious . We've even had 2 barracuda swim right up to 3 feet of water once. There were some unusual little blackies swimming about. I figure the barracudas liked them as appetizers.

The beach guys will take to out for private snorkel trips . Cheap!

Have Fun in Cuba!

3. Re: Tryp or Sol Cayo Guillermo for shore snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 January 2015, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco