We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping

Summerland, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
tipping

Heading to Pestana in March and as this is our first time to Cuba, would appreciate any advice on proper amount of tipping to various staff. (servers, cleaning staff etc)

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,423 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping

Here is a great guide that TA member CubaJack wrote about amounts to tip. Everyone is different – some tip more, some less.

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g147270-c114818/Cub…

hfx
Level Contributor
4,596 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping

agree completely

Kuujjuaq, Canada
Destination Expert
for Prince Edward Island
Level Contributor
4,511 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping

Agree with some of that article, seems a little stingy in some cases though (again, as Mad says it comes down to your personal preference). Personally I don't tip the driver and I don't bother getting my bags delivered to my room. I tip the maid 2 CUCs/day if the rooms is spotless and 1 if it is overall good, none obviously if it is poorly done. I tip 1 CUC/meal at the buffet for breakfast and lunch, 2 at supper if we're there for a while. 3 CUCs for a la cartes. I also tip 3 CUCs/day to bartenders. Usually one for the pool or beach and a couple throughout an evening. I don't tip gardeners as some do, but I've been known to buy them a cold drink on occasion if they're friendly. Everyone is certainly different though.

Edited: 26 January 2014, 18:23
Summerland, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping

Thank you, I did read that article and felt that was a little on the light side especially as compared to what we did in Mexico.

Consett, United...
Level Contributor
19,480 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping

Cuba is not mexico so why tip the same?

You should not compare the two.

hfx
Level Contributor
4,596 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping

as Diva said, can't compare countries, it would be like saying I should tip in the UK the same as in the US. That's a whole nother can of worms.

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
98,770 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping

I would add that you should only tip if you have received excellent service and please do not over tip. Staff at hotels earn on average 1 CUC per day so please bear that in mind when tipping.

Stewiacke, Canada
Level Contributor
343 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping

Good article! It is still all about personal preference and service received but it is nice to have a guide line.

Wellow, United...
Level Contributor
2,830 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tipping

I tend to now tip my maid at the end of the holiday, I do make sure that she will be working that day and if not I tip her the day before. We tend to tip every other drink at the bar 1 CUC, there are two of us. Buffet breakfast 1, lunch 1 and dinner depends where we are e.g a la carte can be between 3 - 5. Bell boy 1 - 2. If i have used reception a fair bit and received good service the odd CUC may go over the counter. I never ever tip before service only after it.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tipping

We just returned from the Mojito and at the a la cartes we asked to go meet the cooks. The back room people do not share in the tips with the waiters. We thanked them for the meal and tipped each of the 3 cooks and the dishwasher 5 CUC each. The other couple we were with did the same. The staff were very happy that someone bothered to recognize them and go out of their way to tip them

Edited: 29 January 2014, 16:19
Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco