We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gifts memories flamenco

Peterborough, Canada
Level Contributor
7 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Gifts memories flamenco

My family and I are travelling to memories flamenco in April and we were wondering what types of gifts to bring down for the house keepers. Is there certain things they prefer over others? Any input would be appreciated.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gifts memories flamenco

Don't bring gifts, tip in CUCs.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,351 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gifts memories flamenco

Leave your gifts at home.As stated above, tip for good service and tip in CUC.They then can buy what they need. Have a read of this excellant article on the perils of gifting.

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g147270-c129786/Cuba:C…

Cheers

Angus, Canada
Level Contributor
143 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gifts memories flamenco

There are many types of gifts & many ways of distributing them. Allthough the artical has some good points, the rest is crap in my opinion. I refuse to throw out good used articles that can be used to help others improve their lives just because Cuba is not the poorest country in the world, but certainly not far off). So I sit in Cuba on my fat A$$ and drink mojitos all day and enjoy myself because we come from a developed country and I'm king of the world? BTW, I do this in every poorer location I go, not just Cuba. Next time I'm on an All Inclusive in Haiti or the Congo, I will bring them stuff to, rather than throw it out. Each to their own I guess.

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,338 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gifts memories flamenco

If you have a lot of items that would benefit the average Cuban, you can donate them to the Dubois Foundation, where they will be delivered to people who really do need them, rather than the comparatively rich resort workers. Bonus, you will save room in your suitcase.

http://www.duboischaritablefoundation.com/

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gifts memories flamenco

I wonder if some of the "rich" share with their less fortunate family members.

Are these hotel workers helping out the family that is not so lucky to have a resort job.

Are they all not sharing with the people in their community? They just take it and sell it....all of them!

My thoughts to the OP

I would save the dollar store coloring books and crayons.

If your family has good clothes/shoes you could spare to leave there.....you can wear while on holidays and then leave them for the staff. In a BBC documentary I watched, these items are verry costly for Cubans. Can cost a months salary for one shirt.

I've also read that tools are helpful to give to the Gardners and handymen in Lou of tipping.

My thoughts are this....if they are the richest of the people then they don't need my tips either??? Doesn't seem right to me... My family prefers to tip. If your family prefers to give gifts.....I think that's a lovely gesture.

I am a stylist and plan to bring some items for my fellow "Cuban Hair stylist"

For no other reason then to share, be thoughtful and kind to another in my field of work.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,134 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gifts memories flamenco

Cubans who work in hotels want tip in CUC, unless you're tipping with the latest IPod, IPad, and the like. With the money you give them, they will buy what THEY want and what THEY need. Not what you thing that want or need. Resorts workers, even if they help their close family, do not need an other tub of toot past.

It does not make sense to buy a 1-2$ tootpast here to give them when they can buy it in Cuba for 0.25CUC.

It makes as much sense to give used clothes and used shoes to resort workers as it would make sense to give it here to lawyers or doctors.

If you want to help the Cubans who are in needs, give your things to charitable organisations like Dubois foundation in Canada, or in Cuba, to churches or local medical clinic. They know who needs what. You don't.

And I can't believe that the myth that "Cubans will all share with others in their community" it still around theses days. It's completely falls!!! Most Cubans will help their kids and parents (and not always) and brothers and sisters only if they have close relationship with them. The rest is all political relationships that can or cannot involved the exchange of items, services, etc. Seeing the number of posts about Canadians who still insists on giving in Cuba, I would dare to say that Canadians are more generous and will share a lot more than most Cubans do.

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Gifts memories flamenco

I think for all of the "uninformed" Canadians who still want to bring gifts.

A suggestion to the RESORTS, rather then the visitors. Resorts should help facilitate the giving of items to charity. This would help.

Not everyone feels they should tip for service at an AI

Not everyone has extra $$ for tipping

They do have extra clothes and tools at home. They want to show their appreciation for being welcomed to their country.

None of us should be chastised for our choices or willingness to give.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,423 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gifts memories flamenco

“Resorts should help facilitate the giving of items to charity.”

Resorts are in the business to make money, not to be involved in distribution of charitable donations. Why bring things to Cuba to give to resort staff? If someone wants to donate to an organization that sends much-needed things to people who need them, they could forward their donations to Dubois Charitable Foundation.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Cuba
Level Contributor
11,134 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Gifts memories flamenco

I understand not having the money to tip and I say: don't tip! A big gracias and a big smile goes a long way.

I assume that those who do not have the money to tip in Cuba don't have the money to tip in Canada. So do they give out used closes to the waitress in Canadian restaurant? Yet, I can assure you that most Canadian waitresses need it a lot more than most Cuban waitresses.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gifts memories flamenco

My name is Joan and I am a random gift giver in recovery...I don't do it anymore. Not solely because of the forum postings, which do provide good advice, but because I started to question the logic of it myself. I bought into the counsel of bringing toothpase, toileteries, clothes, etc. and trotted off to Cuba laden with "stuff". It took a couple of trips for me to realize that my gift giving wasn't necessary and that I was being a bit arrogant in presuming what the staff need. (Please Note: I am talking only about myself here so don't assume this is a commentary on everyone). I started following the forums just in the last few months and the advice has basically reinforced what I figured out on my own. Staff are quite happy and appreciative of tips in CUCs as that gives them the buying power and choice to buy cooking oil, fuel, food over and above the allocated rations, clothes that fit their individual style, etc. It certainly has eased the stress of packing and lugging excess baggage and for me is overall more economical. Regardless, of what travellers choose to do, there is no doubt it is based in kindness.

"Good advice is always certain to be ignored, but that’s no reason not to give it."

- Agatha Christie

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco