We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Newbie - Last minute

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help! Newbie - Last minute

Hi Guys,

It's been years since I been to Cuba always go to Dominican. We are thinking of a very last minute trip.. (within the next few days) lots of questions if you can help with some.

1 - What is the cost to enter and exit Cuba?

2 - I see we need CUC currency.. So do we just go with Canadian money and then exchange there? Where do you get the best rates? airport/hotel?

3 - What's some must knows and not's in Cuba?

4 - Thinking of Memories Flamenco Diamond Club.. Anyone know if this is a decent resort?

5 - How is the food? Not picky can survive on pizza, chicken, fries, burgers

6 - How far is Memories Flamenco from the airport.

7 - Is there any maps around I can see of what is around Cayo Coco? Like can we jump in a taxi and go somewhere where there is bars/nightclubs?

8 - Any other last minute advice you can provide.

Thanks

Wantage, United...
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Newbie - Last minute

hi big jim,

1. its free to enter cuba, apart from your plane ride etc, the tourist card/visa is normally inc in you plane ride/pkg..

it cost 25 cuc to leave, payable in cuc..

2. yea go with your money an exchange at the resort, NOT at the airport, they have been well known to rip people off, but where ever you change, do as you`d do anywhere in the world an check the rate etc, an count it out against the receipt..

5. food is as good or better that the dom rep, you`ll survive no worries...

i`m sure other posters will come on an answer the rest of your questions, i always go to cayo guillermo, which is next to cayo coco..

you`ll have a blast ...

rgds ..

Edited: 31 May 2014, 17:12
Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
100,649 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Newbie - Last minute

The current rate of exchange for Canadian dollars is $100 (CDN) ----> 89.27 CUC.

Check the rates wherever you exchange but as cubankid1 says it's probably best to avoid the Airport Cadeca.

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Newbie - Last minute

Thanks both of you for your answers.

What amount do you think (per person) would we need for a weeks stay? Only really plan on drinking.. so lots of tips to the bartenders. A few off resort bar / club trips (if there is any in the area)

Maybe 1 or 2 excursions (if there is any in that area) still trying to figure out resort location and a few small souvenirs.

Is it better to change big amounts or kind of a daily thing?... Like should I change $500 right at the beginning or maybe just $200..... Don't really want to be stuck with leftover CUC...

Thanks

Edited: 31 May 2014, 17:24
MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Newbie - Last minute

Oh another question (sorry)

At the airport... after you get your checked bags.. is there an area with the tour companies desks to check in and get the bus transfer info?

thanks

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Newbie - Last minute

Memories Flamenco is 15 mins from airport and the reps are waiting for you at the airport and you get the room key and dinner reservations right then! Loved this resort rooms are nice and very clean! Might want to bring water to shoes to enter the water the beach has coral but it's a beautiful beach loved it! We also did diamond club and just for the bar and BBQ on the beach it was worth it for us!

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Newbie - Last minute

Also food was really good we enjoyed most of it! Take a taxi to Lenny's lobster shack for lunch for a wonderful lobster dinner best meal we had all week!

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Newbie - Last minute

@jkelly,

Thank you for your response... did you fly Sunwing by chance?..... Do they include the entry card?

As for the resort itself... How would say the atmosphere was (I know it depends on who is there) but I see that there is a disco on site... would you say the resort is a bit lively?

As for Diamond.... does it include "top shelf" drinks?

What are some things that you did "NOT" like about the resort?

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
100,649 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Newbie - Last minute

Your tourist card will be handed to you by the cabin crew on the Sunwing flight.

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Newbie - Last minute

Thanks Bellagio the reason I ask is cause Sunwing is the only airline in Canada that doesn't really include the tourist card..

I don't know about their Cuba flights, but for Dominican their the only airline that does not pay the 10$ entry and 20$ exit.......

So was trying to figure that out for their Cuba route.... If lets say they don't pay the entry.. what is the cost and since I would only have Canadian on me would they accept that or would I have to get some money exchanged at the airport to pay?

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Newbie - Last minute

Yes we flew sunwing and yes had to fill out visa on plane be careful I made a mistake and had to buy another for $20!

I think it depends on the people there at the time but resort was lively around the pool bar in afternoon when the entertainment team was there and some nights the disco was busy! Resort was full when we were there.

This was my first trip to Cuba so have nothing to compare to but we really loved everything about this resort and would go back in a heart beat! The staff were amazing had 3 people ask us while we were there how it was going and if we had any concerns and we couldn't think of anything that was bad only good!