We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info for Memories Caribe resort...

Montreal
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Info for Memories Caribe resort...

Hi,

I was wandering if there are ALOT of mosquitos in the this resort ?.Last time when I was in Cayo Coco (Tryp resort) and Cayo Santa Maria was kinda unbearable !

I am gonna be travelling with 20 months old daughter and my wife.

Is is a small resort ? Don't like large ones..

Is Diamond Club option HIGHLY recommended ?

Is it easy to find chairs in the shade around 10:00 am ?

Thanks for your replies and have a nice day.

John

Caledonia, Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Info for Memories Caribe resort...

I'm going to be honest n tell you that I didn't like this resort . I walked over from hotel playa coco n within 5 minutes I was eaten alive , it's surrounded by a swamp river that runs through n I found everything way to far from the main buildings . Just my opinion

Ottawa, On
Level Contributor
80 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Info for Memories Caribe resort...

Everywhere in Cuba have lots of mosquitos. The best repellent that I use is Ben's 30 Deet Wilderness Formula!

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
840 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Info for Memories Caribe resort...

You're right about the mosquitos at Cayo Santa Maria, so Cayo Coco would be about the same. Varadero doesn't have nearly as many, but you aren't headed there.

The resort is less than 350 rooms, so it isn't like the 1,000+ room resorts.

I've been to other Memories resorts in the past, and to me (my opinion only) the diamond club isn't worth it. Mind you, others may have a differing opinion.

If you are going in low season it's fairly easy to get a beach chair early in the day. Getting one in the shade may mean you are there at 9:00 am. If you are going in high season, good luck for either option.

Enjoy your trip!

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
667 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Info for Memories Caribe resort...

Hi, anyone out there that has been here recently seen where the new Melia hotel in going up? Think it's next to Memories Caribe and next door but one to Playa Coco??? If so is it in a good position? A destination expert advises it has a poor / no beach and will be a mosquito pit?

Thanks

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
8,870 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Info for Memories Caribe resort...

Well first off I'm no destination expert !

The new Melia is approx 5 km east of Carieb just past Flamenco Beach which you can see marked on maps of the area and Google maps.

Perhaps someone else that has also walked the beach from Flamenco to Playa Prohibida will confirm what the beach is like between the two but BEFORE the point.

Lenny

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
667 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Info for Memories Caribe resort...

:-) You are very knowledgeable though Lenny.

And got mixed up with the hotels - I realise now Memories Caribe is not in the area near where the new Melia is going to be.

Any new info you hear about however would be appreciated.

Sal

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
8,870 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Info for Memories Caribe resort...

Check out www.cayocococuba.net Lots of great info on all the resorts and area must do's.

LENNY

Cavendish, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cayo Coco
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Info for Memories Caribe resort...

" A destination expert advises it has a poor / no beach and will be a mosquito pit?"

@HarryMetSally which destination expert told you this????

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
667 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Info for Memories Caribe resort...

Hi apparently they aren't a destination expert- (this was my mistake) but they seem to know the area quite well and say its because of the location the mangroves :-(

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
667 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Info for Memories Caribe resort...

Hi apparently they aren't a destination expert- (this was my mistake) but they seem to know the area quite well and say its because of the location the mangroves :-(

This is the location of the new Melia Jardine Del Rey though.... not the Caribe i should point out.

Get answers to your questions about Cayo Coco