We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

isla nena flight sju to culebra?

Which Culebra hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
RI
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Topic
isla nena flight sju to culebra?

we are planning a trip to culebra in march. we want to fly directly from sju, not take a taxi to a secondary site and then fly out. any experience with isla nena airline? any idea of their daily schedule? can't seem to find it posted online. any other flights to get there? isla nena seem to be the only carrier direct from sju? Lastly, we are looking to stay Zoni end, any opinion re: this? we want closeness to the ocean and quiet peacefulness. Thanks.

Marshall, Wi
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: isla nena flight sju to culebra?

I found this:

http://www.islanena.8m.com/index.html

Flights are usually "on demand". You have to call and ask flight times & pay for tickets. I know that Vieques Air Link and Air Flamenco had desks next to United when we flew out so you should call and see what's available.

The 172/person is pretty expensive. I paid $200 for 2 people on Air Flamenco rt to Culebra from Isla Grande just a few weeks ago. The Taxi was $21 each way. That makes it $100 cheaper to go from Isla Grande. That's 2 dinners for 2 at Mamacita's so to me it was worth the small hassle.

We stayed near Zoni and enjoyed it. Very isolated, beautiful views and wonderful beach. 15 minute drive to town if you want to go to dinner or a bar. I wouldn't say any of the houses are close to the ocean, but most have a very nice view. You will need a car to get to the beach unless you stay at the 2 places that are right on Flamenco Beach.

RI
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: isla nena flight sju to culebra?

Thanks for that info. I will look into air flamenco. isla nena would not be flying at the right times for us. Do I have to contact air flamenco ahead or can we just taxi to there and take a flight. We land at SJU 10:15 AM have only carry-ons and want to make the most of our day. Will they truly fly "on demand" or do we have to wait for the next full flight? Same for flying back. we depart SJU 1:30 PM. How long does it take to transfer from one airport to the other?

Culebra
Level Contributor
223 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: isla nena flight sju to culebra?

I would definately recommend advance reservations. Generally they fly according to their schedule, although, I suppose the "on demand" status allows them the flexibility to not make a run if there aren't enough people.

It is about 15 min. (depending on traffic) from Isla Grande to the Int'l airport & should cost $15 + $1.00 per bag. Sometimes the drivers will try to get you to pay $20, but the price is $15.00 (per ride, not per person & each way).

RI
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: isla nena flight sju to culebra?

Thanks. It looks like we will stick with isla nena even though they cost more. Their schedule seems to work the best for us. The other airlines offerings were too late and too early. My only regret is that we booked the early flight from Boston (6:25 am) which means we our journey begins at 3am! We get to SJU @ 10:15 but can't fly out until 3:30 our options are: change to a later flight from Boston (300.00 change fee) or find two people for an earlier flight to join us and isla nena will add a 12:45 flight.. Anyone interested to go from SJU to Culebra Saturday, 3/29 @ 12:45?

Marshall, Wi
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: isla nena flight sju to culebra?

Good Luck!

They say "on demand" ,but the flights are scheduled. For one of our flights we were the only 2 people on the plane so they left 30 minutes early because we were there and ready to go.

You will have to check carry ons for the flight to culebra. Those planes are really small so bags you can carry on a domestic flight won't fit in the cabin on one of their planes.

6. Re: isla nena flight sju to culebra?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 21:16
Get answers to your questions about Culebra