We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I have it all ?

Which Culebra hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Can I have it all ?

Looking for a lodging that is within walking distance to stores, one or two restaurants (for when I don't wanna cook!) and the water (either beach or shorefront) in the price range around $100 a night (10-11 day stay). And …. Yes I believe in Santa Claus : )

Reason I ask is - you might want to get a cup of coffee at this point, as I get quite wordy…..

My husband is a United Methodist Pastor and a total stress free R&R is what we try to do to maintain some sort of balance. We've gone to Ambergris Caye a couple of times (it’s getting tooooo busy) and Isla Mujeres once. Just looking for something different this year.

What we want is for life just to slow down to about a crawl. We usually cook our evening meal and a stroll through a grocery store is always in fun. (makes on not complain about the cost of food in Ohio)

We don't require 5 star lodging to be happy. Don't mind washing t's in the sink and hanging 'em up to dry. Do need a separate sitting and sleeping area.

Considering not renting a car, trying to see all that one should, just adds a tad bit of "doing too much" . Sometimes the first visit just needs to be simple. However this is subject to change after we get there and get familiar with our surroundings. I know that there are some gorgeous beaches that we won’t get to see without a car.

Planning on visiting the end of April , first of May-ish.

We had first looked at Vieque and someone suggest Culebra - and I’m soooo glad they did – it looks perfect.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mary

Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I have it all ?

Ohh my, I'm spamming myself - sorry!

Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I have it all ?

I did search for lodging – but difficult to tell where some of them are actually located in relationship to town.

Promise - no more comments today : )

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I have it all ?

There is no 5 star lodging in Culebra. As a matter of fact, there is no 4 star or 3 star either. It is not the kind of place you go to if you want any kind of pampering. It is for people who want to get away from it all, but are willing to live with a do-it-yourself vacation. The plus side is that Culebra is low-key and has beautiful beaches, state parks and great snorkeling. There really isn't much in the way of beachfront lodging in Culebra except for one on Flamenco Beach (the only one for that matter) and I cannot remember its name. Here are some websites for you to peruse:

http://travelandsports.com/cul.htm#aa

www.islaculebra.com

Marshall, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I have it all ?

We just got back from an 8 day stay in Culebra. Totally relaxed and laid back, we somehow managed to do almost nothing for 8 straight days. You can either be in town or near the beach, but not both. Flameco Beach is the only beach you can get to without a rental car. You can take one of the publicos for about $2 each way. We rented a house. I enjoyed that very much, but you must have a car and most houses cost from $150 to $300/night. If you want cheaper lodging in town, Mamacitas, Palmetto, Villa Boheme or Casa Ensenada would all be as close to what you are looking for as you could find. The grocery stores are close and I think most have kitchens.

seattle
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I have it all ?

is the publicos $2 each way or per person?is any where for $2?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
491 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I have it all ?

Please check out Villa Fulladoza. The price for a large efficiency with kitchen is $85 per night.

It's right on the water, but the beach -- but the bay.

It's immaculate, quiet and well-situated near town, so you can stroll to the grocery store or restaurants nearby. (There's a sign on the premises that states "the only noise we like to hear is the sound of the water lapping at the dock.")

Myna, the onsite management, has quite a stellar reputation for running the Villa Fulladoza.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
491 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I have it all ?

It's right on the water, but NOT the beach, but the bay.....

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
108 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I have it all ?

The publicos will go to Flamenco Beach for $2 each way. It is more to go anywhere else.

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I have it all ?

Definitely do Culebra. You can stay at a nice place as you desire, close to many things, at $100/day during low season, which begins in April.

Mobile, Alabama
Level Contributor
2,859 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I have it all ?

I think you picked the right spot as long as you avoid Easter week which I am sure you would. We stayed at Villa Boheme in February for 6 days (also stayed one night in SJ going and one night in SJ returning just to unwind, not rush for connections, at get "on island time"). If you should decide to do something like that, a little inn called Tres Palmas was where we stayed- nice, small, quiet, low key with a beautiful view (from the 2nd floor common patio and hot tubs) of the water just across the road. It included breakfast and was only a very short cab ride from both airports.

Our room at VB was #11- it was only one large room with a sitting area, king size bed, bath, small dining table and chairs for 2, full size refrigerator, small oven/stove, microwave and sink. It had a very small balcony with just room for 2 chairs and tiny side table but- oh- what a view overhanging the bay. The cost of their website says $140 night I think but INCLUDES the taxes already.

It does not have the separate areas you are looking for but some of the rooms may. The interesting thing about VB is that it had a very nice large communal patio area with lots of seating right on the harbour but also had a screened in communal kitchen area that was very well equipped and grills and also had bathroom facilities out in the deck area as well.

The reason I picked VB over Fulladoza was that it was air conditioned- even though it was February we used it some. The Dinghy Docks next door was a restaurant that served 3 meals a day and had a bar. Our favorite restaurant was about 2 blocks away and called Mamacita's- 3 meals also and very good breakfast.

There are grocery stores within walking distance and also a good bakery that had things you would have for breakfast.

We did rent a jeep for the whole time just because we went to the beaches every day but I can see how you might be able to do without one or just rent one for a few days and plan things for those days. Our favorite was Zoni Beach.

I think you would much, much prefer to stay in town on the harbour rather than out at Flamenco- you are pretty much stuck there without a car and as others have said, you can get the publico to go there.

You will have a restful time in Culebra! Sorry to be so long winded.

Get answers to your questions about Culebra