We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

arriving 12/6... tips for Culebra newbies ...

RI
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Topic
arriving 12/6... tips for Culebra newbies ...

Hello we are so excited about our trip coming up in just 2 weeks! We are staying over Zoni Beach and will probably want to be relatively quiet (seeing we are leaving 5 kids and various extensions behind) but will want to check some "island culture" out. Are there any Advent (pre-Christmas) events going on or anything else we might be interested in experiencing to make our island vacation complete? We plan on beach exploring and snorkeling every day... I'll take suggestions for that too...

We are pretty capable as far as cooking (large family) and prefer staying in (cocktails, too) to enjoy our place and it's view , so as far as provisions are some places better than others. We are "experienced" with island life and the limited provisions (2x Virgin Gorda) it can provide especially compared to the US's "over abundance" Are there fresh markets? or a farmer to go to for fresh chicken or other meat/ produce? How about spirits, where best to procure these? Thanks for any suggestions and anything else you want to add.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
491 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: arriving 12/6... tips for Culebra newbies ...

I'm sorry I don't have answers to your questions, but wanted to bump this up to the front page again for more responses.

We always shop at Milkas Store. There's a decent supply of provisions, etc. We have never cooked for ourselves when visiting, so I havent' much to say about the choices there for fresh meat, poultry etc.

Milkas closes early, my best advice is get there in the morning.

Make sure you stop in the Pan Deli for excellent coffee and sandwiches. Fresh baked bread too!

RI
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: arriving 12/6... tips for Culebra newbies ...

thanks. Milkas has come up twice now. We'll be sure to check it out. We love Laguna beach, too (noticed your from LA).

Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: arriving 12/6... tips for Culebra newbies ...

Re groceries check out islaculebra.com

islaculebra.com/puerto-rico/groceries.html

Imho the best beaches are obviously Flamenco and my own favorite Carlos Rosario. If you don't know how to get to Carlos Rosario just ask someone at Flamenco for directions. From there it's a 20 minute hike over a hill.

And if you get a chance follow the road over the bridge and out of Dewey to the south. Park at the top of the hill where the paved road ends. Walk down the dirt road and check out Punta Soldado and the squatters community there. Interesting spot.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
264 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: arriving 12/6... tips for Culebra newbies ...

Hi ,no there is no fruit,meat or vegetables market like you see in Rio Piedras.I would buy provisions in a supermarket in Fajardo before departing to Culebra.

The rest you can buy in Milkas.

Great snorkeling beach is Culebra.You have to get a taxi to get there.The best is to rent a car if you are not staying in town.

Culebra
Level Contributor
223 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: arriving 12/6... tips for Culebra newbies ...

Once/week, generally on Fridays there is a fruit/veg man, Luis, who comes over on the cargo ferry with his truck from the main island. He sets up on the corner near Carlos jeep.

Terrie

Palmetto Guesthosue

Chesapeake Bay
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: arriving 12/6... tips for Culebra newbies ...

See my post for some basic info on the island and beaches and snorkeling. Also go to Isla Culeba . com the forum their is very helpful. You'll need a rental jeep out at Zoni, and there are only 2 markets that I know of on the island, Myna's and milka's, both in town. If you rent from Jerry he'll show you everything on a quick driving tour.

Enjoy!

7. Re: arriving 12/6... tips for Culebra newbies ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 19:18
Get answers to your questions about Culebra
Recent Conversations