We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hospitals/Medical care

New York
1 post
Save Topic
Hospitals/Medical care

If you have an illness, is there a hospital on the island? If not, what is the medical care available?Also, what is the frequency of the ferries and where do they go? To San Juan?

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hospitals/Medical care

Not sure about the state of emergency health care on Culebra. However, I do know that for any major procedure you need to receive that care on Puerto Rico.

There are 3 ferries/day between Fajardo and Culebra. You can see the ferry schedule at www.puertoricodaytrips.com/fajardo-ferry/

Another option is the fly between Culebra and Ceiba (RVR), SJU, or Isla Grande (SIG). More on flights at www.puertoricodaytrips.com/ceiba-airport/

If you get so sick that they can't handle the problem on Culebra, I'm guessing that you don't want to be taking the ferry back to the mainland!

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,393 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hospitals/Medical care

I know on Vieques they have a clinic and anything beyond that you would be evacuated to San Juan witch has top notch hospitals. Transplants etc. Rio Padres is a teaching hospital and all the othe carib island do the same. I have Aetna insurance and the hospital in Rio Pardres is part of the network. I imagine Culebra would do the same.

3. Re: Hospitals/Medical care

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 March 2009, 03:49
El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,853 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hospitals/Medical care

I am not sure how legal that was.

The pharmacist may be able to give an emergency supply of something until you can get to see a doctor, but they can't write prescriptions. At least we can't on the mainland of PR.

Level Contributor
1,217 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hospitals/Medical care

The clinic here has an Emergency Ward that is staffed 24 hours a day.

In case of a medical emergency you will be flown to a hospital on the Main Island at the expense of the Puerto Rican Government. This applies to both residents of and travelers to Vieques and Culebra.

The ferry is not an option..except if you are no longer breathing.

6. Re: Hospitals/Medical care

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 17:23
Get answers to your questions about Culebra
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question