We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Camping

Hey!

I am taking my very first backingpacking adventure by myself to Culebra, 4 nights.

I have read about teh campsite at Flamenco Beach and have already planned ot stay there. However, I have read about beaches that you have to hike to, and islands that are deserted...is it possible to camp at these beaches?

Say I rent a kayak and paddle over to a beach and set up a tent, will I get in trouble? Is it dangerous? Or if I hike to a beach that has no access by road, can I set up camp for the night?

Thanks for any advice!

My trip is planned for mid May 2009. Not so busy right? I'll be watching the weather very closely=)

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camping

The fact is that you could do it and nobody would notice... usually.

But, not being a local, you would want someone to know you are there, because you dont know the signs or behavior of weather in the area.

If you don't want to feel like you are not really roughing it at a camp site in Flamenco, just go all the way to the end... there will be less people (pass area D, that's the college section where everything goes).

If you want to get permission to camp in a particular beach, you have to talk to the Department of Natural Resources (search for Departamento de Recursos Naturales or DRN)... they have offices in San Juan easy to get to and they give permits to camp and use areas that are off limits.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
45 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camping

Hey!

Thanks for the advice! I searched the web and couldn't find any online stuff for the DNR.

I think if I keep things clean and tidy at any of the beaches, there shouldn't be a problem...let you know if there is!

3. Re: Camping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 00:20
Get answers to your questions about Culebra