We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

topless?

Which Culebra hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
180 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
topless?

Are there areas where I may go topless or is that totally frowned upon?

Aston, PA
Level Contributor
89 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: topless?

Totally frowned upon. Sorry but if you rent a car and go looking for a total secluded beach and you can find them during the week, you could probably get away with it but as to their more populated areas while the bikinis are so itty bitty they are almost nonexistant, the beautiful girls are still covered. Oh and by the way, cover ups on the street are a must unless you want lots of horn blowing and screaming out the windows of the cars LOL. Nance

NYC
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: topless?

Hang out near one of the gay beaches, (in front of Atlantic Beach Hotel near Marriot Stellaris) or in front of L'Habitacion in Ocean Park. A lot of women go topless and nobody bats an eyelash. (Just keep your top handy because it's technically not legal, but I have never seen anyone be reprimanded.)

NYC
Level Contributor
3,422 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: topless?

My bad....this isn't the San Juan forum. Ignore my advice and keep your top on. :-)

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,938 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: topless?

Topless is illegal in P. R. and you may be fined for indecent exposure. So don't spoil your vacation

Dublin, Ohio
Level Contributor
325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: topless?

If you can hike down to Resaca beach (hike, being the key word there... this is not just a leisurely walk on a trail), you will be the only one there, and I mean the only one. So you can decide from there if you feel the urge to go topless.

If you are not the only one, don't do it. But there is nothing at all in the surrounding areas of that beach. And if someone did come out of the trail through the brush you could see them, and cloth yourself before it becomes an issue.

Do a search for pics of this beach on the net and get a good local map of the island and make a day trip out of it. You will want to bring a lot of water (at least 2 liters), and some food in a backback. And enjoy the total solitude and natural privacy of this beach.

Remember that there is turtle nesting on this beach so please be aware.

Good luck,

Peter

Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,440 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: topless?

Resaca Beach????? Never heard of this, where is it?

When I want to go TopLess Playa Faro in Cabo Rojo is the place, but only in weekdays early in the morning.

Dublin, Ohio
Level Contributor
325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: topless?

ChinaSupay,

it's on the northern central part of Culebra. If you are in Playa Flamenco and look to the east there is the huge hill/mountainous rocky point where the beach ends and the rock juts out towards the ocean. Well, on the other side of that mountain/hill is resaca beach.

You can actually take a four wheeling vehicle up to the top of that mountain and overlook Resaca beach from up there. Quite an amazing view.

Here's a page with a few maps that will help you see what I am sayaing:

www.tamarindoestates.com/culebra_map.html

good luck,

Peter

Dublin, Ohio
Level Contributor
325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: topless?

Oh,

China Supay (and others), I found a good pic of the view from the top of the mountain overlooking the beach.

goto www.webshots.com

and do a search for "playa resaca" and click on the 2nd thumbnail picture.

That should work.

Or I'll just get the exact link:

…webshots.com/photo/335698149/335698149MPmvgs

One of those two should get you there.

I hope this helps,

Peter

Long Island
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: topless?

Hey...great...thanks so much for the information! We spent yesterday on Flamenco and were thinking about going back tomorrow but figured it would be busier on a Friday so we wanted to try something different. I think we'll check it out :)

Dublin, Ohio
Level Contributor
325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: topless?

Okay island hopper.

Here's something for you to consider. You need a good map of the island, and a local who can put you on the right road to go to place where you can access this trail.

You cannot get there from the top of the mountain that has the old heli-pad on it. you must travel back towards town and head out another road (and up another very steep hill) to get you up to the access trail.

If your on the right road, at the top of the mountain (and end of the road) you will find a square shaped dead end / place to park. If i remember correctly there was an access road that was roped off, this is the place.

You will then look for white or orange ribbons tied to the bushes to mark your trail down to the beach. It is partially a trail, and partially a runoff stream at certain points (though if it isn't raining there will be no streaming water there).

Keep following the ribbons that are every 50 feet or so towards the sound of the ocean. Long hike, but you can do it. Great exercise, and the hike up and down is fairly shaded by the natural plant growth there. Remember lots of water, that will be your biggest safety concern in my opinion. Also, careful not to twist an ankle.

Good luck,

Peter

Get answers to your questions about Culebra