We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Culebra ferry really that bad?

Colorado
Level Contributor
62 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Culebra ferry really that bad?

I have seen some posts that imply the ferry from Fajardo to Culebra is a pain. I am looking to save some money and am a bit anxious to fly......

How often are there problems with the ferry?

What types of problems have people encountered?

Is the ferry from Fajardo to Vieques any better?

Thanks!

Vieques
Level Contributor
3,649 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

Your rental contract prohibits taking a car on the ferry.It will void any insurance you have and worst, you might get stuck in Culebra if you manage to actually get over.

The ferry service is about to take a nosedive, ATM has run out of money and it appears that they will not renew the contract with Fast Ferry of PR. They have already taken the boat , the Sea Angel, that was servicing Culebra out of service and it has sailed back to its homeport in Louisiana. Soon the other two boats that service Vieques will also discontinue service May 10th.

ATM will be back to trying to service both islands with too few and broken boats, as the majority of the fleet are drydocked and out of service.

If something doesn't change it will be a difficult summer for transportation to the islands.

Hilton Head, South...
2 posts
Save Reply
42. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

Thank you! Doesnt sound good ):

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

I agree whith wholegrain. Students love all islands of Puerto Rico, they have home field advantage, it will make very difficult for visitors to plan and use this service. It's really disappointing.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
419 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

How can one keep abreast of the ferry developments? We are coming back next March, and taking the ferry was in the plans. However, if that is not a viable option, we will need to rethink some of our plans, which I am currently in the process of trying to figure out/finalize. Is there a website that has information regarding the ferry?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

Perhaps you best bet is to stay tune on this channel. DTOP is IMO the worse website. No information whatsoever, even for locals is no use. They do have an email address and some phone numbers.Some news but not much related to the ferry service. I seriiously won't count to much on the email service.May be you gat lucky if you post a question to their Twitter page.

DTOP and Puerto Rico Tourism Company are government run departments. Unfortunally politics do play ball on these departments. DTOP are easy target for any mistakes. Because politics play big in the island most likely they prefer to keep low key until they do have real news. If there is a good news, DTOP will gladly share the information to show their efforts and commitment to the island. If not, business as usual. I hope you have a good picture of what's happening on the island. Is like Dems vs GOP.

They're very efficient collecting traffic fines if you elect to may payments online :)

We strive to maintain the information updated. Some have taking theer time to check into local newspapers and post the news as soon is released. All we know is they working on a plan b, and a new website.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

Having connection problems. Couldn't correct my typos. Keep your fingers crossed Iowa!!!!

Edited: 11 May 2013, 16:48
Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
419 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

If they decide to renew the contract, will that happen soon, and it is a year by year thing? Is it a matter of cost efficiency as far as not renewing? I had also read that the fast ferries were causing too much erosion with their wakes. True?

Just feeling very frustrated right now. We already have our plane tickets, so we are definitely coming back. We were going to do an adventure type tour(hiking, rapelling, cliff jumping etc) in Naguabo, staying in Ceiba...then head to Culebra for 9 days, then back to Ceiba for a couple of days, including Erin Go Bragh. The ferry was factored in price-wise. Now I am not sureif we can do everything since this will affect the budget if we need to fly and I don't know what to book/reserve...I guess just wait and see.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

Seriously, there is no way to tell what the ferry will be like next March....we can hardly keep up with it day by day. I just heard that the "Fast Ferry" contract has been renewed until June 30th, 2013...with a possible extension until sometime in 2014 IF they find the money.

But there really is no way to know anyway...March is notorious for rough seas, so even with the extra ferries, weather still can stop the ferries.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

I also forgot...they are seriously talking about seriously increase rates also... Rates in the $20 range have been mentioned. So that may also play a part in your decision making. But nothing firm yet.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
419 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Culebra ferry really that bad?

Just saw this posted on facebook, thought I would pass it along:

Culebra Online

Fast Ferry Contract Extended

The last run date was to be on Thurs.

Based on good faith conversations, we operated on Friday.

Last night at midnight an extension was signed to take us to Jun 30, 2013, the end of the fiscal year.

Also, the agreement contained language that would further extend the contract in the new fiscal year 2013-2014, subject to funds being made available in the government budget.

The community pressure weighed heavily on the matter. Ivan Solis and others who made statements and let their thoughts be heard did make certain decision-makers take notice.

The gov will be in CUL soon and he will need to hear voices on the matter of transportation. People on his staff in La Fortaleza were very influential in making this extension of the supplemental ferry service happen.

Thanks to all of you for your support.

Rick Newman

Get answers to your questions about Culebra