We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RETURN ferry from Culebra only?

WI
Level Contributor
18 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
RETURN ferry from Culebra only?

My 7 year old daughter & I are planning to fly to Isla de Culebra from San Juan on Jan. 2, 2012. When we return to mainland PR on the 8th of Jan., I was thinking it might be fun if we returned via ferry to Fajardo then publico to San Juan. Here are my questions: Is this sort of return going to be more hassle than fun? I already determined that for us taking the ferry TO Culebra is not something we want to spend our time doing (getting up early, standing in a long line for a long time, maybe or maybe not getting on the ferry after that long wait). Is it easier to get a ferry ticket FROM Culebra to Fajardo than the other direction? If not, we'll just fly both to/from Culebra. Thanks much in advance!

Boni & Maria Cristina

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RETURN ferry from Culebra only?

The trip on the ferry might be fun for her, but I assure you that a trip in a "publico" will not stoping every now and then, with the heat of the day, & time spent you'll loose at least 5 precious hours on the island.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RETURN ferry from Culebra only?

sunmoonstars, maybe you should have explained what a publico in P.R. is.

bonitabonita, did you mean a taxi that will take you directly to san juan from the ferry? or did you mean you will get in a shared ride van that will take you to a stop where you will get in another shared ride van and repeat that until you get to san juan? thats generally what a publico on the mainland is. if thats your intent, then sunmoonstars is right. its no fun.

but if you simply planned on taking a prearranged 'taxi" then it will only take 50 to 90 minutes and cost about $80. I reccomend contacting John at Johnspublico@yahoo.com

you can also rent a car in Ceiba(near the ferry) and drop it off in san juan. this isnt always economical and it isnt convenient, but it gives you freedom to explore a little if you had time.

Punta Santiago...
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: RETURN ferry from Culebra only?

ferry rides are fun but taking the ferry back from Culebra on the 8 of jan may not be the fun you are hoping/imagining. And I agree if you then couple that with a 'publico' it will be a long and possible tedious day of travel. I suggest instead take the ferry in OSJ over to Catano..even if you do not go to Bacardi, which is what most folks do once in Catano, you can instead relax a short while and then enjoy the ferry back to OSJ.

Best to fly to and from Culebra during those Jan holiday days...

San Juan
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RETURN ferry from Culebra only?

True, frankiepoo, I pressumed that bonitabonita, who's nick is in spanish, knows what a "publico" is, since she used to the spanish term for public -small van transportation. This kind of means of transportation is also known as " VI" (Island Vehicle).

Puerto Rico
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
4,051 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RETURN ferry from Culebra only?

There are usually no Publicos late in the afternoon to return to San Juan. Also it can get a bit choppy on the Ferry in January. I woiuld fly

Punta Santiago...
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: RETURN ferry from Culebra only?

To clarify..I did not mean to suggest you take the OSJ/Catano ferry instead of visiting Culebra ...I mean take the OSJ/Catano ferry roundtrip back to back on another day for a fun ferry ride in a pretty spot to enjoy that experience with your daughter!

WI
Level Contributor
18 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RETURN ferry from Culebra only?

Thanks much for everyone's insights! We've ridden plenty of ferries, so skipping the ferry is not a big deal if it is as much of a hassle as it sounds. I was thinking that if we took the ferry then publicos back to San Juan, we could spend some time just making our way back to San Juan slowly, exploring a bit along the way. If the most reasonable option is taking a taxi or tourist van back to SJ from Fajardo, we'll totally skip that. I'm already renting a car on Culebra, so I really don't want the hassle of car rental for just a day or two on the main island. My kiddo will have a blast in a small plane - we can explore somewhere other than Culebra on another trip. Thanks everyone!

8. Re: RETURN ferry from Culebra only?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Culebra