We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Yunque, Colebra and Vieques Itinerary and Transportation

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
107 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
El Yunque, Colebra and Vieques Itinerary and Transportation

Intinerary and help with transportation issues. Should I use a travel agent?

I need some help with my itinerary. Four of us are traveling over Thanksgiving week, leaving Vieques to fly home to our families on Thanksgiving morning at 7:15 AM. We want to see El Yunque, Culebra and Vieques over 5 1/2 days. Transportation is a huge problem. Please look at my proposed itinerary and make recommendations on how to get to the islands from the mainland and from each other, and also visit El Yunque in an efficient manner.

16 Nov. Fri Arrive at 2:30 PM San Juan. Rent a car and drive to El Yunque? Accommodations for 1 night in Rio Grande area

17 Nov. Sat visit El Yunque early AM to beat the crowds. Visit for about 4-5 hrs. Drive back to San Juan and eat lunch on the way back to San Juan. Friday late afternoon, return rental car and try finding a flight to Culebra.

Alternative: Find a driver to pick us up at the airport, take us to El Yunque the next day and then take us to the 3 PM ferry from Fajardo to Culebra.

Accommodations in Culebra for 2 nights, Saturday and Sunday evening.

18 Nov. Sun. Full Day in Culebra

19 Nov. Monday Leave Culebra and go to Vieques. Ferry will take most of the day or charter a plane or boat between the 2 islands. Accommodations for 3 nights in Vieques

20 Nov. Tues relax in Vieques. Do Biobay tour

21 Nov. Wed relax in Vieques

22 Nov. Thursday. Leave Vieques at 7:15 AM flight.

Would you please comment on the itinerary?

Should I be hiring a travel agent in Puerto Rico to help arrange transportation within Puerto Rico? or is it easy to charter a plane and/boat to get to Culebra from the mainland and then travel from Culebra to Vieques?

Would it be more cost effective to hire a driver to take us to our hotel in the El Yunque area, then to El Yunque the next day, and then to the Fajardo ferry?

Huge thanks!! I'm worried that things will be sold out during Thanksgiving week and that we could be without hotel or ferry transport if I delay making arrangements. We already have our airline tickets from Ohio!

ReplyEdit

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Rio Grande
Rio Grande
Puerto Rico
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
Fajardo Ferry
Fajardo Ferry
964 Reviews
Puerto Rico
pa
Level Contributor
945 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Yunque, Colebra and Vieques Itinerary and Transportation

Why not rent a car in SAn Juan and drive down to Cieba Airport we flew to Vieques for $64 round trip pp on Vieques Air Link and just left the car parked at the airport for about $8 a day you can also park your car at the ferry when we were done drove back to San Juan for us it was cheaper to go this way ,and just booked it on our own. Was going to do ferry ,but didn't want to take the chance we couldn't make it and lose out on our booked reservation.

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
107 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Yunque, Colebra and Vieques Itinerary and Transportation

Your plan was great and makes sense. I wish that I had know to do that. Unfortunately, I've already booked a flight from Vieques to SJU.

I just discovered that I can rent from Thrifty one way with drop off at Fajardo or at Ceiba. I'm looking into taking the 3 PM ferry on Sat to Culebra. I could fly, if you think it would be better.

I've just sent Air Flamenco a requet to see if they can fly us from Culebra to Vieques, so that we don't have to return to the mainland. Vieques Airlink does not provide that service.

Where did you stay on Vieques? Did you go to Culebra at all?

Did you go to El Yunque?

This trip is happening Thanksgiving week. So, I'm a little worried about getting bumped on the Saturday afternoon ferry.

Would appreciate hearing more from you about your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Isla de Vieques
Isla de Vieques
Puerto Rico
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
Flamenco Beach
Flamenco Beach
3,232 Reviews
Puerto Rico
pa
Level Contributor
945 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Yunque, Colebra and Vieques Itinerary and Transportation

We stayed at Hectors by the Sea they only have 3 places they rent out it was very private and quiet

pa
Level Contributor
945 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Yunque, Colebra and Vieques Itinerary and Transportation

Sorry didn't finish my comments. I would definitely try to find a flight out of Cieba to Culebra you will probably waste a good hour or so going back to SJU with traffic. See about renting a car to drive down to the forest (we did do that on our return from Vieques and depending how adventurous you are can easily spend 4-5 hrs) my husband and I hiked to the 2 highest peaks and walked 3 1/2 hrs not counting checking out the waterfalls. We did not go to Culebra since we only had 3 1/2 days in Puerto Rico I would definitely rent a jeep or something with high clearance if you really want to explore the island as the ruts in the road are huge! Since we flew out of Cieba we stayed at the Fajardo Inn on the way back then did the forest since we had to end up in San Juan.We did talk to 1 family and they did the ferry with no problem ,but that was Aug. We deciced it wasn't worth the chance if we didn't get a ferry that day we would lose our reservation at 1 place and be stuck with no place to go. So you'll have to decide what risk you want to take

Mentioned in this post
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
The Fajardo Inn
The Fajardo Inn
1,010 Reviews
Puerto Rico
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Sparta.NJ
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: El Yunque, Colebra and Vieques Itinerary and Transportation

Check out Charliecars.com A friend who is from Puerto Rico recommended them to me. I'm going to San Juan, then Culebra this Saturday, so I can tell you how they were when I get back. I reserved the car for Saturday to Saturday and it was $240 for the week. We're going to keep it parked at Fajardo for a few days while we camp at Flamenco. I would have gotten the one way rental, but for just a little bit more this gave us alot more flexibility. This way if something happens and we don't want to stay on Culebra (Which I doubt) We;ll have the car waiting for us at the Ferry. Now we can also check out El Yunque on our way back too.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Rico
Puerto Rico
Caribbean
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Culebra
Culebra
Puerto Rico
Fajardo
Fajardo
Puerto Rico
Flamenco Beach
Flamenco Beach
3,232 Reviews
Puerto Rico
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
107 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Yunque, Colebra and Vieques Itinerary and Transportation

I will look forward to hearing about your trip. Would you please ask if rental car companies take you to the ferry, including on a Sunday?

Thanks

Have a great trip.

pa
Level Contributor
945 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Yunque, Colebra and Vieques Itinerary and Transportation

If you just pay the parking at the ferry parking lot the car will be there when you get back. The only place that I've heard of that will drop you off is Avis if you rent from them but then you may have to pay a drop off fee. We just used Charlies in Aug. the only problem I had with them is that they didn't tell me there location by the cruise ship quit their shuttle at 4:00 and we missed it by 45 minutes costing us a $20 taxi that we were trying to avoid.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Yunque, Colebra and Vieques Itinerary and Transportation

i cant see paying for a rental car while it is parked in a lot. unless it is one night.

AVIS rents a car that you drop off at their Ceiba location. they then drive you to the ferry or the airport, your choice.

i belive enterprise does as well. im not sure about thrifty

Sparta.NJ
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: El Yunque, Colebra and Vieques Itinerary and Transportation

That's kind of what we thought too, but it wound up being only $40 more to have the car for the entire week, rather than 2 one way rentals. For us that little bit of extra money, even after paying for overnight parking, sounded worth it for the convenience.

pa
Level Contributor
945 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: El Yunque, Colebra and Vieques Itinerary and Transportation

That's how it worked for us Charlies was cheaper than Avis and by the time I paid the drop off fee it covered the parking cost. Plus more convenient no waiting for someone to pick you up and drop you off and if you get delayed on the ferry etc. it doesn't matter. Just do some checking around to see what works out the cheapest and best for you. I do know TA only recommmended a couple of the car rental place out of San Juan

Mentioned in this post
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Get answers to your questions about Culebra