We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SIG (or SJU) to Culebra via Air

Which Culebra hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
716 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
SIG (or SJU) to Culebra via Air

We are still trying to decide which airline/airport to use to fly from San Juan to Culebra. Is it necessary to make a reservation for a flight in early May? Also...if we choose to fly out of SIG, how much time should we allow between our arrival in SJU and the flight to Culebra - we will NOT be checking any luggage.

Does anyone know if Air Flamenco started flying to Culebra out of SJU? They publicized that they would start new flights in December 2012, but the website has not been updated.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SIG (or SJU) to Culebra via Air

Make a reservation a few weeks before you plan to travel.

An hour minimum travel time between the two airports, as you said you will have no checked baggage and assuming your flight arrives on time. Just outside the arrival terminal are taxis lined up. Take a taxi directly to Isla Grande airport which should be a 15 minute ride (depending on the time of day and if there is no traffic congestion).

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
716 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SIG (or SJU) to Culebra via Air

Thanks prexplorer,

Does your one hour minumum include passing thru security and arriving at the gate in the required time for our Culebra departure? I guess I would have a better idea if I split up the questions.

1. Time to disembark, get a taxi and travel to SIG.

2. Time to get thru security at SIG.

3. Time we must be checked in prior to our flight.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SIG (or SJU) to Culebra via Air

giving yourself an hour is very safe and makes sense. I would say from the time the plane door opens to the time you walk into isla grande airport is about 40 to 50 minutes. There is no security at sig. just a counter. you can call them when you land to let them know you are on the way and to not let your seat go. in case you are late or worried that is.

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
716 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SIG (or SJU) to Culebra via Air

Excellent Frank...that's good news!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
166 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SIG (or SJU) to Culebra via Air

I can only answer part of your question. We have flown out of SJU and SIG. The experience at SIG was a huge step up in terms of convenience, time, tarmac safety and comfort (even though we stayed at the airport hotel the time we flew to Culebra from SJU). This March, we get into SJU early afternoon. We will cab to Old San Juan and spend the day and night there since it is so cool. Our flight the next day for Culebra leaves at noon. I have confirmed with the hotel, the airport, and google maps that it will take no more than 15:00 to get to Isla Grande via cab ( that is more important if you are taking the 9:00 am flight when traffic could be a problem if coming from the hotel at SJU). Plus, although they say to get there 45:00 before your flight, they have told us that one half hour will be plenty of time. The cafeteria at IG has surprisingly good food if you don't have time to grab something before you get there.

6. Re: SIG (or SJU) to Culebra via Air

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2014, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Culebra