We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Culebra with luggage?

Minnesota
Level Contributor
140 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Culebra with luggage?

Hello

We are planning to fly to Culebra from SJ for a day trip. We travel light but will still have our bags with us. How will that work?

thanks! Also, our friends might take the ferry instead. Do you think they would have problems getting on one during Holy Week?

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,935 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Culebra with luggage?

Holy Week is a big "local" time to travel to Culebra. Advise flying instead of ferry.

No sure of your question about bags on plane ... you would check them just like for any other flight. Be aware of airline weight restrictions on luggage (usually about 25# per person). Carry-ons will be taken from you prior to boarding, and will be stowed in the luggage compartment.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
140 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Culebra with luggage?

Thanks! I was wondering about lugging the bags around the island.

Are there lockers at the airport on Culebra? Sorry I wasn't very clear.

We are going Tuesday, hoping that will be less crowded!

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,935 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Culebra with luggage?

No lockers.

Oh ... so you're checking out of hotel in San Juan ... going to Culebra for the day ... and checking in somewhere else on big island that night? Originally, I thought you were going to Culebra for a night or 2.

If that's the case (not sleeping on Culebra), best bet would be to see if 1 of the hotels on the big island can hold you bags ... either after checkout or before checkin.

Roswell, Georgia
Level Contributor
723 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Culebra with luggage?

Ray,

Quick question regarding carry-ons. When you say they will be taken away and stowed with luggage, do you mean the suitcases only. I also carry my one 'personal item' which is actually kind of an oversized purse that holds my real purse (tiny), meds, quart bag for liquids, electronics, etc. Hubby carries a lightweight backpack that serves the same purpose. Will they also take those?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,810 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Culebra with luggage?

They may take everything except small purses or if you really feel strongly about keeping it. But the baggage "compartment" is just in the back of the plane- if upon boarding they want to take your purse/backpack, you stand there while they put them in, close the door and then again while they open the door and take it all out. It can't get lost. Sometimes the compartment is open to the back of the last seat, you are never far from it. Once they took my small backpack, once they did not.

Don't worry- it is all very easy.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Culebra with luggage?

First of all regarding your friends. The other responser is correct, but I would word the advice even more strongly. If your friends are not locals who understand the ferry system, you won't be seeing them in Culebra unless they fly. (People camp out at the ferry dock for holiday tickets, it's a nightmare if you don't know what to expect.)

About the weight

The weight restrictions are different on the small planes to Culebra than a commercial airline. And when I last flew from Isla Grande (San Juan) to Culebra I was required to put my purse in the back with the luggage.

Here is what VAL says about luggage (30 lbs total - your personal item counts towards this weight)

The source: http://www.viequesairlink.com/baggage.html

"Baggage Allowance/Acceptance/Checked Baggage: Each passenger can bring a maximum weight of 30 pounds.

Excess Baggage: Additional charges will apply when you bring more than 30 pounds. The transportation of excess luggage is limited to space available. You will be notified if your excess luggage will not travel with you.

Overweight Baggage: Not OK bags will exceed 50 lbs. "

If you're flying a different airline, check their specific requirements (I bet they're similar).

Good luck and have fun! Culebra is a slice of paradise.

Bristol, Connecticut
Level Contributor
193 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Culebra with luggage?

No flammable liquids make sure your booze is 150 proof or lower other than that anything goes pretty much

8. Re: Culebra with luggage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 March 2014, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Culebra