We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Culebra Ferry Service - Get up early!!!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Culebra Ferry Service - Get up early!!!

I'm a current resident of PR and have taken the ferry 3 times this year to Culebra with no problems. I would go during the week and arrive around 7:30am and wait no more than 2-5 minutes for the tickets.

However, I attempted to take the ferry again to Culebra and it was horrible!!! We went last Thursday and arrived around 7:15am and there was already line. We waited in line for over 2 hours under the hot sun with no shade or tarp to cover us while waiting.

There are only 3 ticket counters, one for Culebra, Vieques, and Cargo. During the wait, I saw one of the ticket representatives fall asleep at the computer, one talk and laugh via cell phone pretty much the whole duration of us waiting, and another constantly leaving their ticket counter. As a resident of this island, I was quite embarrassed of the poor customer service and non existent communication. Nobody knew anything!

I thought it was a holiday weekend but it wasn't. The only difference I can think of from this ferry ride to the past is that the kids are out of school. Perhaps more locals vacation Culebra during the summer break.

Lesson learned...be at the ferry terminal before 7am!!!!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Culebra Ferry Service - Get up early!!!

Welcome to summer! Everything will be busier. And wait until July for the real craziness- they will actually close beaches because they are full!

Flying is the best option, but if funds are limited for a day trip, if you can't get to Culebra on the ferry, go to Vieques. That ferry is usually less busy than the Culebra one. You can get a taxi to SunBay beach easily and enjoy the day there.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
4,061 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Culebra Ferry Service - Get up early!!!

wow, that's gotta be a crowded beach

San Juan
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Culebra Ferry Service - Get up early!!!

If you live in PR why are you surprised by this? Its summer and it's super busy. The last time I went to culebra we drove from San Juan leaving around 5:30am and we still had to wait around 4 hours to get the ferry. This was in July.

Edited: 21 June 2013, 08:49
Lancaster...
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Culebra Ferry Service - Get up early!!!

Don't even waste you're time. Just had an awful experience trying to catch the ferry to Culebra. Waiting in line for two hours and didn't get on. Waited in another line for an hour for advance tickets to be told there were no more tickets. What a shame. The island could make so much money if someone with half a brain would fix the problem. Not that difficult to do. Off now to Zipline with Yunke Zipline Adventure. From what I hear, it should be awesome!

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
93 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Culebra Ferry Service - Get up early!!!

I was surprised since the last 3 times were a piece of cake. I have never went to Culebra during the summer time and was thinking it would be less busy since low season has already begun here in the island. Needless to say, I was wrong about my assessment, that's all.

Edited: 21 June 2013, 14:44
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Culebra Ferry Service - Get up early!!!

So its Summer. Kids and youngsters are off, Families take vacations on this time. Various holidays, specially in July. Ferries will be crowded and lines too.

The solution?

GET THERE EVEN EARLIER!

One way I avoid these situations is taking the 4:00 am cargo ferry to Culebra. Check their schedule and plan accordingly. You will get there before the crowds. You will pick up any spot you want at Flamenco. You will avoid standing in line not knowing if you will board.

It may be too early for some but, hey! You get there!

As for the "customer service" attitude their employees show, it is something that has plagued that agency in particular for soooooo long that makes you think that privatizing it might somehow improve it.

Try that in a private company and see how long you would stay employed.

But by being "secured" by Union agreements and laws, some of these workers don't give a damn about your situation and stress they put us on.

I should know. I know quite few of those workers and they tell me.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Culebra Ferry Service - Get up early!!!

Wow, we are flying to Culebra 7/7/13 for our 25th Ann. Can I really except it to be so crowded that beaches are closed or is that mostly on the weekends.

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Culebra Ferry Service - Get up early!!!

The beach I was referring to was Balneario Monserrate in Luquillo on July 4th. Only time I have seen it closed but I have never gone to any other beach on a holiday since! But it was more of a parking issue than a space issue I think.

Flamenco beach gets busy from 10:30-4pm, but never so busy like a beach on the main island.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Culebra Ferry Service - Get up early!!!

Hi all,

Calrican, that was suggested to me by one of the ferry employees, and was told that not many consider this option, so how many got on board Calrican????....and I agree with you 100% about these employees.

Flower Farm is correct, I always make plan B, that is Vieques.

As mentioned above locals takes vacation very seriously; families, students, and many puerto ricans who lives in the states will book during summer time and the local families will take them out. Vieques, Culebra, Cabo Rojo (Boqueron, Buye, Combate, playuela) or west coast in general are very popular during summer, and it's been like that for generations. Add the number of people who don't have the income to exit the archipelago of Puerto Rico, hey, we talking about a good numbers here.

Back to my plan B. Remenber, Flamanco is the prime destination, as someone mentioned, get there very early. Is best during weekdays than weekend, but IMO the difference is not that huge but a little better chance to get in. Vieques is much easier and have more boats scheduled than Culebra. You will not go wrong going to Red Beach, is a beautiful beach, read the reviews.

BTW, some decided to take Vieques and were very happy with Red Beach. If you already rented a car, you parked, stay on line for a while and missed Culebra, go to Vieques!!!!

New York, New York
Level Contributor
103 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Culebra Ferry Service - Get up early!!!

O.K., so now I'm getting a little nervous. In your opinion, should I take a later ferry if I don't want to stay in the sun all day or are there no hourly ferries? Coming back, should I wait for the last ferry? Seems to me like we'll be packed like sardines. I would appreciate any suggestions as you seem to have done this more than once!

Edited: 22 June 2013, 16:06
Get answers to your questions about Culebra