We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time (ever) snorkeling in Icacos or Culebra?

Which Culebra hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
First time (ever) snorkeling in Icacos or Culebra?

We are planning a snorkeling trip through one of the tour operators. When we called to inquire, the lady on the phone said that if we are first time snorklers, we should go to Icacos. She didn't have any apparent reason but she said its easier if you are doing it for the first time ever.

I know Culebra is obviously more beautiful than Icacos. Is Culebra more challenging in any way that Icacos for first timers?

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico, Carolina
Level Contributor
8,043 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time (ever) snorkeling in Icacos or Culebra?

for the cays they will bring the boats up close to the beach in shallow water. Nice sandy bottom easy to get used to it. For the preserves around Culebra you will get of the boat in deeper water and swim over to the reef. How comfortable are you in the water? If you can hop in the deep end of a pool and snorkel you wi be fine.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time (ever) snorkeling in Icacos or Culebra?

I agree with PR Bob, if you are good swimmers, it really doesn't matter where you snorkel. Most tour operators give first-timers snorkeling instructions.

Toronto
Level Contributor
149 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time (ever) snorkeling in Icacos or Culebra?

I got the same answer... if you are not a strong swimmer or a non-swimmer, they recommend that you go to Icacos. I wonder if a non-swimmer can enjoy Culebra though with floatation devices?

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,921 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time (ever) snorkeling in Icacos or Culebra?

The issue with the snorkel boat trip from the big island to Culebra is that there is no guarantee that they will be able to provide beach access (depending on surf/weather conditions). If you can't swim, or if you've never snorkeled before, it's not really a _great_ idea to jump into 20 or 30 feet of water.

Snorkeling in itself is easy, by many first-timers get freaked out breathing through a snorkel, or if they get some water in their mask. All rational thought goes out the window, and people sometimes panic. They forget that they are floating on the surface of the water and all they have to do is lift their head out to breath.

I can understand a tour operator that doesn't want to put a guest (and themself!) in that situation.

Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time (ever) snorkeling in Icacos or Culebra?

The key to snorkeling is to remember that you can breathe while you are under water. Yeah I know you already knew that. But as a first time

Snorkeler you will panic at first. Remember to breathe calmly, if you breath calmly you will be fine...trust yourself and your instructor. Don't miss out on this experience you will have sooo much fun.

6. Re: First time (ever) snorkeling in Icacos or Culebra?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2014, 06:21
Get answers to your questions about Culebra