We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food/accomodation in Culebra

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Food/accomodation in Culebra

Hi,

I'm coming to Culebra for a few days in January 2014. I've been before but stayed on a boat so didn't experience the Culebran accomodation / restaurants! I was wondering if anyone could advise whether it is best to find somewhere self-catered (with a kitchen) and buy food to cook ourselves, or to stay in a hotel and eat out? We love food and cooking..... Any information would be extremely helpful!

Thank you,

Alice and James

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food/accomodation in Culebra

Culebra does not have any resorts or large hotels. There are a few boutique hotels with few amenities. Many people rent condos or homes.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food/accomodation in Culebra

Thank you, sorry but I know this already! But is it better to buy our own food from markets / shops or eat out at restaurants?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
115 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food/accomodation in Culebra

Maybe get a few things for breakfast or snacks at the grocery, but definitely eat out, especially if you'll only be a few days.

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food/accomodation in Culebra

You could also ask for where you could locate local fishermans to buy fresh fish or lobster.

During my stay at Culebra, our group was able to buy fresh catch and had a great BBQ dinner.

Maple Grove...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Food/accomodation in Culebra

For BBQ, do you have to buy firewood or just gather deadwood around?

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food/accomodation in Culebra

My rental provided a gas BBQ and a Charcoal BBQ. We bought charcoal for the lobsters.

Cooking is easier on those, than on firewood (which is hard to find for sale here in PR). Deadwood is limited, because since we are on a tropical location it can rain for just 30 min and wood turns humid.

So if interested in BBQ, ask if the rental provides one.

White Post, Virginia
Level Contributor
1 post
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food/accomodation in Culebra

Check out the back of the "Milka" market just over the bridge and to the right where there is a meat/fish counter. A local chef turned me on to their frozen spiny lobster meat. One pound of pure lobster meat (frozen in a block) is very, very reasonably priced. With butter/garlic and your favorite herbs...you have got the base for a nice meal.

Also, eating out is fun at Zaco's Tacos: their pork belly and pickled red onion taco is awesomeness!!! Heathers puts out a good pizza. I haven't tried El Batey yet, but it sounds great for a burger. El Eden has an upscale deli selection for lunch. We never ate there for supper, but I hear reservations are needed.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
419 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food/accomodation in Culebra

If you eat out go to Barbara Rosa's!! Our favorite place on Culebra!

Tennessee
Level Contributor
942 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food/accomodation in Culebra

Barbara Rosa's Seafood Stroganoff is to die for!! Second Heathers Pizza. Love the Margarita Pizza there. Love the pork belly tacos at Zacos!!

10. Re: Food/accomodation in Culebra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Culebra
Recent Conversations