We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bio-luminous/vieques

Erie,PA.
Level Contributor
173 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Bio-luminous/vieques

I have several questions about the bio-luminous (is sp. ok?) trip/place on Vieques.

#1. Is this something that happens all the time or is it catch as catch can? only certian moon phases?

Are there ways to get there from Culebra (trips etc?) or should we stop there first for a night then jump to culebra?

Is it worth the trouble?

Thanks tons, Ron

Tennessee
Level Contributor
942 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bio-luminous/vieques

Ron, I answered your questions on the Culebra forum.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bio-luminous/vieques

It's the bioluminescent bay or biobay for short. Yes, it is worth seeing. This natural phenomenon is a constant feature of the bay. It is ideal to tour it on a moonless or near moonless night. The moon watch calendar at this website can give you the best days to see it: www.biobay.com

There are no ferries from Culebra or vice-versa. There is another biobay in Fajardo on the main island also which you can tour. It is located in the same town as the ferry terminal for the two islands (Culebra and Vieques).

Seattle
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bio-luminous/vieques

I have scheduled my bio bay tour for 10pm on the new moon in January. My thinking for the later trip is that we could have dinner first, and drinks after, and that it might not be so crowded later on the bay.

My question....I have read that it is darker on the earlier tour, because the moon has not risen yet. Is this really insignificant and not a reason to change to the earlier trip? I am thinking that because it is a new moon, the difference would be minimal. Thoughts?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,814 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bio-luminous/vieques

During a new moon, there is no moon or almost no moon visible- so there is no or almost no light anytime of the night.

No difference.

5. Re: Bio-luminous/vieques

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Culebra
Recent Conversations