We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

boat captain for day trips

Paonia, Colorado
Level Contributor
73 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
boat captain for day trips

Hi,

Staying on Culebra next month for a few days, and wanted any suggestions for a good boat captain for a day trip. Culebrita looks like a not-to-miss attraction. Traveling with the wife and kids, and wanted to see if any locals or regulars have good things to say about anybody in particular.

Thanks, Adam

Edited: 07 January 2014, 00:01
Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,930 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: boat captain for day trips

We had a good trip on the Pez Vela last year. You can read about it in our blog ... www.puertoricodaytrips.com/culebra-sail/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
358 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: boat captain for day trips

I'm also in a similar 'boat' but it looks day trips to culebrita are best organized once there through the locals. Crossing my fingers there's a captain wanting to take us!

Paonia, Colorado
Level Contributor
73 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: boat captain for day trips

yeah Nic, I was hoping to get pointed in a direction as far as who to talk to, local on Culebra. Ray's suggestion is nice but English speaking=more money, and I like to practice my spanish anyways. Any ideas?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
358 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: boat captain for day trips

I contacted the owner of Casa Resaca, where we are staying, & she said it was something very easy to organise once we arrive - she's a local so I'm trusting her! At the end of the day, if you are willing to spend money to sail, whilst you are on an island, it would be illogical for it not be able to happen!

Ray's (always informative) post gives an indication of $125pp for the day, so i'll be going on that. I'll be heading over 16 -18 Feb I'll be reporting back on my arrival in March - will you be travelling before?

Paonia, Colorado
Level Contributor
73 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: boat captain for day trips

Nic- I'll be over there just after you, end of Feb. Looking forward to it very much.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
358 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: boat captain for day trips

In that case, if I get a spare moment, i'll update the thread upon my return from Culebrita -

Getting excited!

Fajardo, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
175 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: boat captain for day trips

Contact Brett at the Hostel in Culebra he has a couple of boats and takes people out on day trips. He is also reasonable. Brett 340 998 5916

Ellis Puerto Rico

Windsor, CT
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: boat captain for day trips

We used Capt. Bill a few years ago and had a fantastic day on the water. Ask around when you get there and you'll get numerous recommendations for Captains.

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,964 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: boat captain for day trips

Check out Ventajero for sailing charters. A truly different experience for the whole family.

I chartered for Culebrita, and it was great. Plus we stopped in other locations. Capt. Domingo is exceptional in treating everyone. Read the reviewss on TA, Fajardo things to do. He is located in Fajardo but will sail to Culebra.

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
83 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: boat captain for day trips

Captain Sebastian is the best. 787-435-4498. We had an incredible day of our vacation with the captain, daughter, and their fabulous dog last August. We will be planning trip next summer and will certainly use his services.

Get answers to your questions about Culebra