We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Culebra General Questions

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
215 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Culebra General Questions

Hello All - looking for some general advice…what should one expect to pay for food / drinks in culebra? nothing fancy needed just trying to get a basic idea.

as far as transport on the island, i know this is a dumb question but is it possible to rent a jeep that is automatic and not stick shift? otherwise, what are the average rates for golf cart rentals?

also, are there flights to and from vieques? don't want to miss the biolums but not sure how to work the logistics with flights to san juan and lodging in vieques - any suggestions for how to set up an overnight (budget friendly) trip to vieques for the lights?

many thanks!

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Culebra General Questions

You can get Jeeps with automatic on Culebra. Carlos Rental has a good selection.

For Vieques biobay without staying on Vieques, look at East Island Excursions trip out of Fajardo.

usa
Level Contributor
5,008 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Culebra General Questions

Culebra Island does not have a lot of tourist amenities and that includes restaurant choices. Perhaps that is why so many people like the island. There are not as many restaurants as there are in Vieques. Dinghy Dock restaurant is a popular spot. We were there once, it's nothing to write home about. You can check their reviews below:

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g580453-d1…

If you want to eat on the cheap you can visit the food kiosks at Flamenco Beach. A fancier place to eat is at Club Seaborne Restaurant. The prices are higher.

In regard to flights to Vieques, check with Flamenco Air. I did fly once from Culebra to Vieques, however things are constantly changing on the islands so call them.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Culebra General Questions

Lots of restaurants, cheaper options include Zacos Tacos, Heathers (pizza) El Batey (burgers). Those places I'd say $10-15 per person for a meal. There are a couple of food trucks too. agree that Dingy Dock can be hit and miss. I like Mamacitas better but that is a little more pricey ($15-25 for a dinner). We usually stay on Culebra for a week and never hit the same restaurant twice for dinner, and have to debate what place we are going to skip this year :(

We usually get cereal and sandwich fixings and eat breakfast and lunch on our own to save on food costs.

I think all of Carlos' jeeps are automatic.

Des Moines, Iowa
Level Contributor
419 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Culebra General Questions

Go to Barbara Rosa's for dinner. Her food is fantastic and isn't too pricey...I'd say a dinner is around $12 to $15 pp. Our favorite place to eat. Dinghy Dock, as mentioned above, is ok. I believe the owners or management of Mamacita's took over, and in our opinion, the food was better before that happened. Zaco's Tacos is also very inexpensive and really good. If you want a "fancier" dinner, go to Suzy's. For super cheap, go to the Kiosks. Surprisingly, their food is pretty good.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
215 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Culebra General Questions

Thanks - very helpful !

Shoreview, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Culebra General Questions

We are cheapskates and the most we paid for dinner was about $22 for an entree, $60-$65 for the two of us IF we had cocktails/beer, appetizers and dessert. Barbara Rosa's is about $5 cheaper than every other fine dining spot. She' s open Thursday, Friday and Sunday. Waco Taco and Heather's are great and not that expensive, either. There's a farmer's market downtown some mornings, if you want some fresh veggies/fruit. Breakfasts are about $10 each and slow service is the norm (except for La Pista). Great coffee, everywhere.

Jeeps were $60-$70 a day from Carlos, $50-something from Jerry's. We rented a golf cart from Jerry's and it was $35 a day and they gave us a great deal for the week. They're super helpful and friendly. I'd rent from them again in a heartbeat.

Level Contributor
1 post
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Culebra General Questions

Definitely use Jerry for your golf cart. Key here is if you dont use Jerry ask how long rental agency holds deposit on credit cards. Have been at Jerry's two years running. We love dingy dock. Mamacitias is fine. Heathers has been on and off however pizza is very good and reasonable. 3 grocery stores in town. Like the one near the fire station best. Tons of beaches and each one has its purpose. We hit 4 or 5 during each stay, pending what we want to see or do. I understand the ferry is rather unreliable regarding times. We havent had problems, but some have shared flexibility is the name of the game. Chickens crow all damn night so be ready to be with the animals. Lol. Enjoy your trip. It is a beautiful place.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
215 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Culebra General Questions

Thank you all-very helpful. we are spending 2 nights in San Juan, 1 quick night to Vieques to see the Bio Bay, then over to Culebra for total relaxation and laziness for 5 nights!

9. Re: Culebra General Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2015, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Culebra