We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip reports

Which Culebra hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Erie,PA.
Level Contributor
157 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Trip reports

This forum is nearly devoid of trip reports! Culebra lovers please a minute to post one.

Thanks all

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,924 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip reports

they want to keep it a secret

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip reports

I just got back from another trip to Culebra- love that place. Went with another couple.

Transportation: We had reservations for a 4pm flight with Air Flamenco out of Ceiba, but due to late plane arrivals and traffic, we missed that flight- they were very good- calling us a few times to see if we would make it. They just couldn't hold the plane. Tickets are good for 1 year. Called Carlos Jeep to tell them our new arrival time/location. Ended up on the 5pm cargo ferry. Got us into Culebra at 6:30, but Carlos Jeep was there with a new Jeep for us. 5 mins of paperwork and we were off. The next day we decided to return via 5pm ferry on Sat, no trouble buying tickets ahead of time. At end, after dropping off Jeep, Carlos had shuttle to dock. Fast Ferry Big Cat Express was fantastic- 45 mins back to Fajardo. Perfect trip.

Lodging- We actually rented a house from Carlos for our trip and almost hate to tell people about them because we don't want it booked up! Loved the view and nice amenities, not perfect but the best we have experienced in PR and by far on Culebra. They list on Homeaway (I think they have 5 places). Our was Colobris Nest.

Food- There are about 4-5 markets and they open early (7am or so) and close between 6-9 pm , so we never had trouble getting essentials.

Our daily breakfast was from PanDeli- call ahead and they were ready to go when we got down there.

Lunches- pinchos at Flamenco kiosks, and Dinghy Dock.

Dinners- Homeless Dog was catering, so not open, Barbara Rosa's closed Thursday. We did waterfront at Dinghy Dock and Mamacita's. Mamacita's food was ok but service really needed help.

We mainly went to the beaches- Flamenco, Carlos Rosario, Tamarindo, Soldado, Larga, Zoni , Melones, etc just for snorkeling or relaxing. Winds were up, so couldn't get watertaxi to Culebrita. We did a kayak/snorkel trip with Culebra Island Adventures and really enjoyed it.

A few tidbits to share- be flexible- don't expect things to be perfect or exactly like home. Had to drink spiced rum because there was no gold rum to be found on the island. Life is hard!

It looks run down, but it has that island charm you don't get on the main island.

Road to Playa Larga has been regraded (still not golf cart usable) and road to Tamarindo is in HORRIBLE shape- it is doable in a golf cart, but not easy.

Walk to Carlos Rosario- still hot and uphill but path has been widened and graded a bit, so not as hard as before- and gate is chained open now- so it seems it is ok to do.

There is now a company that will take you RT from Flamenco beach to Tamarindo, gives you snorkel stuff and turtle tour for $30.

Bring a hat, sunscreen and a book and you are set!

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip reports

oops- tour to Tamarindo from Flamenco is just $15 pp. So worth it to snorkel with the turtles.

NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,924 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip reports

Flowerfarm, in your firs paragraph you wrote:

The next day we decided to return via 5pm ferry on Sat,

you were on Culebra for less than 24 hours?

I must be reading it wrong.

Paonia, Colorado
Level Contributor
73 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip reports

Can you not just walk from Flamenco to Tamarindo to snorkel with the turtles?

Kayaking at Tamarindo sounds sweet too! Excited to be heading there soon!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
323 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip reports

Also keen to know about snorkelling with the turtles - did you pre-book or are they waiting at Flamenco for customers?

I also thought you could do it solo...

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip reports

Could you tell me what's the name of this company that is offering this excursion?

El Yunque National...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip reports

Franki- no, we stayed for 3 nights, but on day 2 we decided not to take the plane back, but to go via ferry, so we bought our return tickets on day 2, so we could cancel the flight and not worry about ferry tickets selling out.

Adam- One could walk from Flamenco to Tamarindo- I would guess it would take about 45 mins of hot walking with all your stuff.

If you have a car and snorkel gear of your own, yes you can drive yourself to Tamarindo and do it yourself. But I never saw a regular taxi van going there, only ones with tour groups.

The snorkel rental people are just waiting at Flamenco for people. They have a huge truck parked in the first spot at Flamenco, you can't miss it. They are also the people that rent the beach chairs and umbrellas. It is called SnorkelinginCulebra.com. I just checked their website and it says they also provide you R/T transport from the ferry for that price. It is an amazing deal for $15 but only 20 spaces/day so I would book it ahead of time to make sure I got it.

If you want a kayak tour that does a nice reef and the turtle tour, that would be with Kayaking Puerto Rico or Culebra Island Adventures.

Edited: 03 February 2014, 13:03
NYC
Destination Expert
for Isla de Vieques
Level Contributor
3,924 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip reports

ahh, ok. I knew I was misunderstanding it.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
323 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip reports

Thank you for the info!

Get answers to your questions about Culebra