We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving for Culebra Saturday!

Which Culebra hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bel Air, Maryland...
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving for Culebra Saturday!

Hello everyone! I've been following some topics but I have some unanswered questions that our landlord hasn't really been able to ease my mind on yet. We chose a rental property from VRBO off Route 250 and we are excited. I secured our Jeep rental with Carlos since everyone said that the hills would not accommodate a golf cart and the price difference wasn't substantial enough for us to pass up a Jeep option.

We also booked airfare on Air Flamenco FROM San Juan International. It was a little more pricey but we don't have to worry about cabs and all that Jazz-ola. NOW, my biggest concern is the weight restrictions on luggage. 25lbs per passenger! YIKES! We always check a bag with our scuba gear and sunscreen, etc since those things are never 3oz. I've packed light, but my textbook alone probably weighs 10lbs that i'm taking! lol.

Ok, so next--we will arrive on Culebra hopefully around 5:00, 5:30. Which grocery store do you recommend? We don't need any alcohol--but I will need cream for my coffee the next AM. :) That is ESSENTIAL! ha ha!

Also, any suggestions on the eco tour? I think we will be there in perfect time for the bay.

FINALLY, any restaurants that we shouldn't miss?

Thanks so much!!!

Ape

Caguas, Puerto Rico
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving for Culebra Saturday!

IMO restaurants in Culebra are not well known for their dinning, but for their great drinks :) Mamacita's and Dinguis (It think that is how is called) are ok options.

If memory serves me right there is a small, really small, convenience store just as you leave the airport.

I personally like the small grocery store, just right in front of the gas station near the waterfront (can't remember their name, but with this description you should find it very easy). This store had more variety of items than the other one in the town area.

Rio Grande, PR
Destination Expert
for San Juan
Level Contributor
3,912 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving for Culebra Saturday!

Mamacita's is under new management. We were not impressed when we were there in January. The old management of Mamacita's now run the Dinghy Dock ... go there!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,261 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving for Culebra Saturday!

There is a small supermarket almost directly across from the airport and up the hill about a block - Supermercado Morales. It's mostly prepackaged and frozen food, but a few fresh produce items and of course there's milk, cheese, etc. I didn't go in every grocery, but I thought the Colmado Milka in town (near the drawbridge) had the best selection and slightly lower prices. Superette Mayra (?) never seemed to be open when I passed it, so not sure about that one.

Last October I flew Air Flamenco to/from Isla Grande, so probably a different experience than from SJU. They weighted my bags (10 pounds over), but didn't charge me extra. The flight was full, but mostly locals who didn't have much with them. I'd imagine they're more strict at SJU as most passengers will be on vacation with more luggage.

I think the only place I ever ate at was Zaco's Tacos a couple of times. The burritos were good and portions were very large. Sit out back on the patio and use the complimentary Off! spray. Limited inside seating.

Bel Air, Maryland...
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving for Culebra Saturday!

Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate these tips!!

5. Re: Leaving for Culebra Saturday!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Culebra