We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Balboa Island

Kansas
Level Contributor
124 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Balboa Island

We will be staying in Newport, and are planning on taking the ferry from Newport to Balboa Island to walk around and see the sights there. I have heard that most of the shops and restaurants are on Marine Ave, so we will be heading there. Since we will be walking, could someone recommend the best route to take to see the houses and other interesting things on the way? What other things would be fun to see and do there? Thanks!

19 replies to this topic
Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Balboa Island

I like the walk along the bay, so maybe take the walk on the Bay first, and then inland on the way back.

Here is a marked map of my suggested route, starting/ending at the Ferry Station.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5465680

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
227 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Balboa Island

Right when you get off the ferry, turn right on the boardwalk (in front of the Island Market).

You can follow the boardwalk down to Marine Ave, turn left onto Marine, and then make your way along the shops until you get to the bridge at the end of Marine Ave, then jump back on the boardwalk, walking to your left.

That will wrap along the North Bayfront around the tip of the island and back to the Ferry dock.

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
227 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Balboa Island

Actually, I think there is a better plan then the one I suggested above:

Right when you get off the Ferry, turn right on the boardwalk (in front of the Island Market).

You can follow the boardwalk down to Marine Ave, turn left onto Marine. Stay on the left side of the street and walk along the shops until you get to the end of Marine Ave at the bridge.

Then cross the street, and walk back the way you came, to see the shops on the other side of the street. By the time you get to Park Ave, you will have seen all the shops (at Hershey's Market). Take a left on the sidewalk there, and you will see the bridge to Little Island ahead of you. At the base of the bridge, you will see another boardwalk, turn left and it will take you along the picturesque Grand Canal.

Follow the boardwalk along the Grand Canal, and it will wrap to your left, and then follow the boardwalk past the Marine Ave bridge, along the North Bayfront, and the boardwalk will wrap around the western tip of the Island, past the bridge to Collins Island, along South Bayfront, and you will be back at the Ferry dock.

This way you get to see all of the shops, both the North and South Bayfronts, and the Grand Canal, and don't have to do any backtracking.

Edited: 17 May 2012, 18:18
Kansas
Level Contributor
124 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Balboa Island

That sounds like a good plan. When I look at a map, it looks like that would be a lot of walking, but I know the islands are small. How much walking total do you think that would be? We are not concerned about a nice long walk around the island - I'm just curious.

Anaheim, California
Level Contributor
25,711 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Balboa Island

The gmaps link in post 1 shows the distance in miles and km's, and you can change the route easily if you want to walk around the entire area.....

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
227 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Balboa Island

The island is pretty small. I bet the plan I laid out above would be somwhere between 2-3 miles.

If you figure it takes about 20 -25 minutes to walk a mile, then you are probably looking at a little more than an hour just for the walking (not counting looking at the shops). Its very flat too, so it won't be strenous.

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip to Balboa Island

LOL --"TRIP" -- You do realize that the ferry ride only goes 800 feet?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,873 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip to Balboa Island

Balboa Island is 1.7 miles, the Little Island is .79 of a mile so if you did both, 2.5 miles.

balboa-island.com/index.php/weblog/sub/C12

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
56,873 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip to Balboa Island

Oh, and depending on who is going.... the island has many good and some great restaurants.

Basilic Cafe is one of Orange County's most romantic places, ditto for Amelia's.

Also good are Shanghai Pine Garden, Picante Martin's, Wilma's Patio and Ciao.

balboa-island.com/index.php/weblog/sub/food/

Mentioned in this post
Wilma's Patio
Wilma's Patio
350 Reviews
Balboa Island, CA
Ciao
Ciao
118 Reviews
Balboa Island, CA
Newport Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,931 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip to Balboa Island

"We will be staying in Newport, and are planning on taking the ferry from Newport to Balboa Island to walk around and see the sights there. I have heard that most of the shops and restaurants are on Marine Ave, so we will be heading there. "

I'm curious where you are staying. Balboa Island IS part of Newport Beach (Therefore, you won't be going from Newport to Balboa---you'll be going from someplace in Newport Beach to another place in Newport Beach.)

Mentioned in this post
Newport Beach
Newport Beach
Orange County, CA
Reply to: Trip to Balboa Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Balboa Island