We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

You get one lunch in Napa...where do you go?

South Florida
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
You get one lunch in Napa...where do you go?

We are going to try and squeeze in a few hours in Napa during an upcoming short trip to SF next month.

While it'd be wonderful to spend more than that out there, we're really on a short time frame and are using our quick little jaunt as a chance to see a few of the wineries we wanted to visit but missed out on during our trip to California this summer (Peju is very high on this list!)

The foodie in me is dying trying to narrow down where we can go for lunch before heading back into the city, so I figured I'd try and get some opinions.

Please don't mention Bottega...I am heartbroken it's not an option. Our visit out to Napa would be on a Monday and they're closed for lunch on Monday, booooo!

A special bonus if you can suggest a place with an amazing view. Mostly I want to head out to Napa because our last visit out there was the most relaxing part of our entire trip. And I could use some relaxing even on this short jaunt to SF.

Thanks much!

Berkeley, Ca.
Level Contributor
4,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: You get one lunch in Napa...where do you go?

You may want to try posting this question on the Chowhound San Francisco Bay Area board www.chowhound.com and see what the hounds to have to say about it.

Level Contributor
36,345 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: You get one lunch in Napa...where do you go?

Peju is a lovely place to wine taste, I love their white "carnival" wine there. If you really want to dine with pretty views of the vineyards, Auberge du Soleil in Rutherford is fantastic. In St. Helena there is The Grill @ Meadowood where you will have pretty views of the golf course, the resort is gorgeous and you will be treated very well at both Auberge and Meadowood.

Enjoy your time in the wine country! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: You get one lunch in Napa...where do you go?

Why not try Tra Vigne, where Chiarello was before Bottega. No views there, but the outside patio area is lovely. And the two dishes I had at lunch there a couple months ago stand out as the most memorable of that trip, and we had meals at Bottega, Bistro Jeanty, and Redd.

Forestville...
Destination Expert
for Sonoma
Level Contributor
4,834 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: You get one lunch in Napa...where do you go?

Auberge du Soleil (www.aubergedusoleil.com/html/dining.shtml) is the only place I know of in Napa Valley that truly combines "amazing views" with excellent cuisine.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
81 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: You get one lunch in Napa...where do you go?

If you're out and about wine tasting, it's always fun to have a picnic at V. Sattui (weather permitting of course). The wine tasting there isn't expensive and they have a great little deli. They can be crowded on the weekends but if you're there on a Monday it shouldn't bee too bad. Just a suggestion since you're short on time!

Also, I haven't been there yet, but I've heard good things about Brix. I went to Mustards awhile back with some friends and thought it was delicious. Both of these restaurants have websites you can check out.

There's a great little spot called Uva Trattoria. www.uvatrattoria.com. They have great food! They don't have a view to look at but the food and drinks are wonderful. Since you mentioned being a foodie, I thought I'd mention it.

Hope this helps! Peju is great you'll love it

South Florida
Level Contributor
21 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: You get one lunch in Napa...where do you go?

Thank you so much for all the suggestions everyone...I think between your recommendations and unfortunately, our budget, we finally figured something out.

I think for now we're going to go with Brix; the reviews seem really good on a few places I've checked and the patio looks wonderful. And considering we're going to dinner at Gary Danko that same night, we don't want anything too, too heavy. Brix seems to have some good sandwich and light bite options. (And my husband seems to like the prices on the online menu, lol.)

I think on our next trip out to Northern California, we're going to have to spend way more than a few hours or one day in Napa Valley; the foodie and wine lover in me just isn't getting her fix with these little jaunts!

Napa
Level Contributor
2,485 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: You get one lunch in Napa...where do you go?

If you're going to Brix - you can get a $25 gift certificate for $10 on restaurant.com

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: You get one lunch in Napa...where do you go?

Careful...that website is loaded with spyware and malware.

NY,NY
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: You get one lunch in Napa...where do you go?

That's easy. Taylor's Refresher!

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: You get one lunch in Napa...where do you go?

umwife11-

Lots of good suggestions!

Even more on your similar post to the Napa forums:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32766-i258-k31661…

As much as we loved Tra Vigne when Michael Chiarello was at the helm, we cannot, in good conscience recommend it. The atmosphere is amazing-- but the food, sadly, has not been consistently good. We've had both good-- and not good-- meals there since Chiarello's departure.

One the other hand, mistletoe-- we're delighted you had a good experience there-- and we were stunned you enjoyed it more than Bistro Jeanty and REDD-- holy smokes!

Umwife, we hope you have a great time in the Napa Valley-- even if it's only for a couple of hours (no chance of extending your trip a day or two? ;)

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World inn

Get answers to your questions about Napa Valley