We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port and Grappa

Ohio
Level Contributor
323 posts
386 reviews
Save Topic
Port and Grappa

I love Port and good Grappa. Does anyone have any suggestions about places to visit for either?

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,005 posts
5,925 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port and Grappa

Definitely go to Prager winery and Port Works

http://www.pragerport.com/

Absolutely spectacular ports; small tasting room - interesting.

Friendly people!

Put it on your "must" list.

have a great time in Napa.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port and Grappa

Go to Portugal and Duoro region. Seriously, would you go to Kansas City for the seafood?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,957 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port and Grappa

I thought grappa was made in Italy??

I have visited/tasted grappa in Bassano del grappa in the Veneto region outside of Venice.

Do WE make grappa here in California?

I like it too .

Ohio
Level Contributor
323 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port and Grappa

Maybe I should have clarified. I have tasted grappa in italy, Port in Portugal and Champagne in France. i know those are "the" regions for the drinks. However, when I travel, I have an open mind and try and sample these in other areas. I have had some very pleasant surprises in other parts of the world. So, while I am sampling wine in Napa, I would also like to try Sparkling wines and ports and anything else the TA people would suggest is worth our time.

And yes, I would try as seafood place in KC if it was strongly rated by the TA forum.

Clermont, Florida
Level Contributor
358 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port and Grappa

I second Prager Port Works. Del Dotto sometimes has port and/or, but I've never been offered Grappa and only once been offered Port on their tour, so I definitely wouldn't plan on tasting either there.

Try Andretti, Frank Family, Beringer, Vincent Arroyo, and Shafer (although I'm not sure it's worth the tasting tariff at Shafer if you only want Port--which I dont recall ever being poured there.) I would check to see if they are pouring Port before making a reservation at any of those.

There are other port makers--Gemella and Hundred Acre come right to mind that aren't open to the public. Araujo Estate makes Grappa, but they aren't open to the public either.

Napa
Level Contributor
2,485 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port and Grappa

There are actually some wonderful ports in Napa . Franciscan makes one of of petit sirah that I really like.

7. Re: Port and Grappa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Napa Valley