We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help Planning!

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
213 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Need Help Planning!

Looking at going to Napa in September for a week. I haven't been in 10 years...my boyfriend has never been. We want to stay in bed and breakfasts and stay in a few towns for one or two nights. Particularly Yountville, Calistoga, St Helena, Healsburg, and Sonoma. How many nights per town does one usually stay? Would we drive to town one day, tour wineries in that area, then the next day pack up and leave and drive to next town and stay or is it better to stay 2 nights in some towns that have more wineries? How many hours in between towns is it to drive? We will most likely be flying into San Fran and renting a car to drive to Napa. Would love to do a spa day in Calistoga as well or any cave dinners or special dinners that are a "must"...money really isn't an issue...anywhere from $200-$500 a night is fine. Thanks for any input!!!!

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help Planning!

Try this website for some preliminary ideas- it may help you to get started on your planning: www.winecountrygetaways.com. This particular site offers ideas for any "wine region" in the country, so both Napa and Sonoma regions are included. I like it because they suggest "loop tours" which I use as a starting point for our plans. Wineroad.com has something similar for the western part of Sonoma County.

I like to suggest that folks read some of the archived articles in Sunset magazine and the wine magazines for great information as well. I find that I can get a better perspective on a location and how/if it will fit into my trip after reading these.

Also, I have a small publication t (periodical) that we picked up on a recent trip called Wine Travel that has a distance chart which may help you get oriented. They are online as well.

The best way to find the special events is to check out the calendars for each area, or if you have a particular winery in mind you can check their website in particular.

Hopefully this will give you some avenues to work with to get started.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help Planning!

We split 5 nights last summer between Healdsburg and Napa, and are returning this summer for a week, spliting our time between Healdsburg and Yountville. The towns in the Napa Valley are so close to each other that I would suggest just settling in one, and exploring from there. Others who know the area better can give you a more accurate timing, but if I recall, Napa was about 10 minutes from Yountville, St. Helena another 10 to 20 minutes from Yountville, etc., with the route lined with wineries, one after another.

Healdsburg and Sonoma are further apart. We just stopped in Sonoma to explore around the town square, but we loved Healdsburg. The Napa Valley and the Healdsburg area are quite different (and both wonderful)- worth splitting your stay betwen them.

3. Re: Need Help Planning!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2010, 08:02