We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another cost-cutting tool

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Another cost-cutting tool

California Winery Advisor, www.californiawineryadvisor.com, has a featured article on wineries that offer free tastings throughout the California wine regions. Scroll through the featured articles to Free Tastings and then follow the prompts. Includes maps and winery specific info

Seattle
Level Contributor
247 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another cost-cutting tool

Thanks for posting, this website has lots of good info, however, I think it may be out of date. For example it lists Andretti and Frogs Leap as free, but if you check their websites, they are not free.

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another cost-cutting tool

I noticed that cougwife and have e-mailed them to see when they last updated their information on the free tastes...hopefully I'll get an answer. Would you mind sending them an inquiry as well so that between us we might be able to clear it up?

S. California
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Another cost-cutting tool

Only 6 free wineries in Napa? Thanks for the website otherfootloose, but as you and Cougwife have discussed, two of the wineries are NOT free, and a third, Haven, is closed. I guess everyone makes money where they can. I'd prefer no "free" wine glass souvenir, and some serious small tastes--for free--in order to determine if I want to buy the bottle. But I guess there are way too many visitors for giving the stuff away. I'm glad I don't live nearby, it'd be like living in Nevada and having a gambling problem. Very expensive.

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another cost-cutting tool

Palladin-

We're guessing by your comments that you've never read the "Free Wine Tastings" link at the top right hand corner of this page ("Top Questions").

It tells you why Napa wineries now charge for tastings (hint: it's not for the $$), and how you can get LOTS of free or 2-for-1 tastings:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32766-i258-k13702…

Hoping this helps. :)

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Egg Harbor Twp, NJ
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Another cost-cutting tool

FYI - We went to Frogs Leap last Dec , and the tour was free at that time. Just noticed that their website now lists this tour as $20, so this must have changed sometime within the last 6 months.

Napa
Level Contributor
2,485 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another cost-cutting tool

Mumm's first tour of the day is always free- but does not include wine tasting.

August Briggs, Heitz, Jessup and Mason Cellars are a few where the tastings are free - there are more, I just can't think of them right now :)

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another cost-cutting tool

carjeff-

Did you get a comp tasting pass for Frogs Leap from your innkeepers?

We get free passes all the time, from various wineries throughout the Valley. But we can never "guarantee" which ones we'll have when someone visits-- since we run out of all of them and get replenished by different wineries!

Tip for everyone: Be sure to ask your innkeepers about this when you arrive-- B&Bs/small inns have comp or 2-for-1 passes for *dozens* of different wineries. Hotels may also have some passes (ask at the concierge desk).

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Egg Harbor Twp, NJ
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Another cost-cutting tool

NOWI -

No, the tour at Frogs Leap used to be free, they only had a charge for the tasting. I guess they have added a charge to the tour also within the last few months.

S. California
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Another cost-cutting tool

Quoting Napa Old World Inn: "We're guessing by your comments that you've never read the "Free Wine Tastings" link at the top right hand corner of this page ("Top Questions").

It tells you why Napa wineries now charge for tastings (hint: it's not for the $$)..."

Thank you for directing me to that info, NOWI. It makes sense.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Another cost-cutting tool

We went to Frog's leap 2 weeks ago and the tour and tasting were both free for us. (I am working on my trip report - I promise :) )

Get answers to your questions about Napa Valley