We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pinot Noir??

NY, NY
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Pinot Noir??

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I have been to Napa two times and now would like to discover some of the vineyards that specialize in Pinot Noir. We were thinking of staying once again in Carneros making it easier to get to Sonoma, but is there some place you would suggest in Sonoma to stay? Also, any vineyards you would recommend?

Thanks so much!

Becky

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pinot Noir??

Hi Becky,

Both the Napa and Sonoma Valleys have climates more suited to Bordeaux and white Burgundy varietals (ie, like Cabernet, Sauvignon Blanc, Merlot, Chardonnay).

Pinot Noir is a very hard grape to cultivate, and it relies on a cooler climate.

There are several microclimates in Northern California where Pinot Noir grapes are happy: Our favorite is the Monterey Peninsula, where Gary Pissoni grows his. The Carneros and Russian River regions are also well suited for Pinot.

So if Pinot is your #1 reason for making this trip to wine country, you may want to consider staying either down in Monterey, or up on the Russian River.

The Carneros region (just south of the town of Sonoma, and just west of the town of Napa) does have some yummy Pinots-- but most of our faves from these regions get made into sparkling wines.

Still, for traditional Pinots, you may want to check out Nicholson Ranch, Saintsbury, Acacia, Artesa, and Patz & Hall. Sinskey also makes a Carneros Pinot. And Miner Family makes an amazing Pinot using Gary Pissoni's grapes (one of our all time faves).

We'll leave the "where to stay in Sonoma" reco's up to the Sonoma folks-- have you posted this question to the Sonoma forums?

Cheers,

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Edited: 30 March 2011, 00:55
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,537 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pinot Noir??

NOWI -

Pisoni is in the Salinas Valley, not Monterey Peninsula but close. Pisoni designated wines are hard to find and very expensive. I'm not sure the average Pinot drinker would be searching them out. Same is true of the great Western Sonoma County wines like Rochioli, Paul Hobbs and Williams-Selyum which are almost impossible to obtain.

Becky

I think there are many beautiful Pinots made in Napa. They just get overshadowed by the Cabs. Here's a discussion from a couple of weeks ago:

tripadvisor.com/…31916032

As stated above, Pinot Noir is a finicky grape and only does well in the coolest regions. Besides Western Sonoma and Monterey Counties, you might also keep in mind Santa Barbara County, Anderson Valley in Mendocino County and the Willamette Valley in Oregon.

Level Contributor
35,736 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pinot Noir??

We did a flight of Pinot Noir at Domaine Carneros in Napa and enjoyed everything we tasted. Nicholson Ranch is also one of our favorites in this area. If you get up to Healdsburg, Gary Farrel is excellent. Have fun! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Pinot Noir??

If you're interested in pinot noir, you really should come to Oregon. Last time we were in Napa Valley, my wife and I asked our pourer at Silver Oak where we might go to taste pinots comparable to what's being produced in Oregon. His reply: "Don't waste your time."

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pinot Noir??

Supercilious-

Our bad. We had thought the Santa Lucia Highlands were part of the Monterey Peninsula.

Thanks for the correction. :)

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

PS We've had several great bottles of Pinot over the years done w/Gary's grapes-- and some were from Napa Valley winemakers. So when someone asks about Pinots, we're always happy to share our particular fave.

And Mistletoe, it's a pity your contact at Silver Oak wasn't willing to share this info-- if you love Oregonian Pinots, we think you might find Gary Pisoni's grapes to your liking! :)

Edited: 30 March 2011, 21:15
6. Re: Pinot Noir??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 18:17