We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

napa valley wine train

Alberta
Level Contributor
201 posts
1 review
Save Topic
napa valley wine train

We are two couples considering taking the wine train. Your opinions on which one to take would be helpful. Gourmet Express or Vista dome. Is it worth it . We have a car and will be doing lots of wineries and sightseeing as we are in the area for 4 nights.

Thanks

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: napa valley wine train

Is it worth it? Probably the most difficult question to answer. Can you tell us what you hope the wine train experience will be for you? What do you imagine you will get out of it?

You can get better food elsewhere, the views on the train ride are not exceptional, it doesn't stop at various wineries. Are you mostly interested in trains?

Lassen National...
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: napa valley wine train

If you love trains it will be worth it. If you have little interest in trains probably not.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,675 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: napa valley wine train

The best experience is the Vintner's Lunch which is scheduled a couple of times per month. http://winetrain.com/events/vintners-lunch

Otherwise, if you don't take one of the winery tour options, you don't really learn a lot on the trip. It's basically just a restaurant and tasting bar on wheels.

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: napa valley wine train

Vista Dome.

Every single guest we've had who has taken it has loved it.

Unfortunately, it books full way in advance- -far before any of the other cars. So you may not be able to get a seat, depending on the day.

The Wine Train is a meal excursion---look on half of your ticket price as the cost of the ride, and the other half the cost of the meal.

And budget a bit extra for wine-- the base price of the ticket does not include it, to allow you to pick from a wide variety of the amazing Napa Valley wines they have on board!

Cheers,

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
28,440 posts
6,010 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: napa valley wine train

With 4 nights, its a nice way to enjoy a different experience in the evening. Napa Valley is lovely to view - and it is relaxing to do the wine train after a day of touring the different wineries.

As mentioned some may not like dinner trains - but if you do - its a nice valley to enjoy a dinner train at. We do dinner trains sometimes - when the views are good. This is one of them.

Enjoy your trip.

Napa, California
Level Contributor
217 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: napa valley wine train

I have been on the wine train twice, once many years ago when my husband and I were dating. More recently, about a year ago took my mother for Mother's Day. I really enjoyed both experiences.

I thought the food was delightful both times.

The wine train chef also participates in many of the Napa charity events and I have always enjoyed what he prepares for those.

Definitely do it when you can see the view so that means only do dinner May through October. If you are not coming those times, then do lunch.

7. Re: napa valley wine train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 15:19