We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Wine train 2-3 night vacation leaving from Los Angeles

Alpharetta, Georgia
Level Contributor
38 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Best Wine train 2-3 night vacation leaving from Los Angeles

I want to take my mother in law the california wine country for a few nights. I do not want to drive but was wondering about maybe taking amtrack from LA and joining a trip on a wine train and staying in a nice bed and breakfast between train trips. I am more interested in the deferent wine train excursions. Any ideas!

Alpharetta, Georgia
Level Contributor
38 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Wine train 2-3 night vacation leaving from Los Angeles

Just posted the message about 2-3 night vacation to napa valley. Price I am looking for is in the med. range as far as lodging is concerned around 2-300$ a night and would rather have a B&B as my Mother in law is 80 and would think that would be more comfortable. I don't want to drink and drive therefore the wine train would be great but am open for any alternatives.

Thank you so much! We will be going in Mid. Jan. or early Feb. 2013

Napa
Level Contributor
2,486 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Wine train 2-3 night vacation leaving from Los Angeles

Look online for great prices during the winter at B&B's in Napa.

The Napa Wine Train is a 4 hour trip from Napa to St. Helena and back.

You could take Amtrak from LA to Martinez, that's the closest you would get to Napa. Then you would need to drive to Napa or take a bus.l

I woudn't do that, it's a very long train ride. Comfortable if you like trains, but you would need to make sure it's train all the way and not bus in some parts. They change things up depending on what time of day you leave.

I would fly into San Francisco, Oakland or Sacramento and rent a car. If you don't want to drink and drive, look into hiring someone to drive your rental. Napa Bee Drive, Small Lots Wine Tour, etc.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Wine train 2-3 night vacation leaving from Los Angeles

There are lots of areas in CA where you can see wineries, go wine tasting, etc. If Napa is too difficult to get to you could consider the Paso Robles or Santa Barbara areas where there is an abundance of coastal wineries.

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Wine train 2-3 night vacation leaving from Los Angeles

Actually Amtrak will take you all the way to Napa. Though a portion of the trip will be via the AMTRAK bus, AMTRAK will be the transportation company you would use, paying 1 fare and they would ensure that the bus meets the train to transport you between the final Train stop and your final stop in NAPA.

5. Re: Best Wine train 2-3 night vacation leaving from Los Angeles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 04:16