We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodations for one Friday Night in Napa Valley - other...

STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Accomodations for one Friday Night in Napa Valley - other...

Due to an itirnerary change, we now only have one night to stay in Napa Valley and unfortunatly it is a Friday night in mid June. Most places are either booked or have a 2 night minimum. My husband's birthday is the next day and we are headed to Yosemite where there is not much in the way of romantic accomodations or fine dining, so we wanted to celebrate on Friday night. The motels dont sound very romantic. Als,o because we are splurging in Sonoma Valley, our budget for lodging is about $200.

Any ideas, or do I need to resign myself to a motel?

Rohnert Park...
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accomodations for one Friday Night in Napa Valley - other...

Try the Silver Rose Inn. It's in Calistoga, and if you're lucky, you might get a room for about $190. All rooms are priced differently, but all are very nice.

STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accomodations for one Friday Night in Napa Valley - other...

Do these rooms actually have nice views of the vineyards, like the reviews say? Is this place in town, on the edge or a few miles out. Sounds intriguing!

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accomodations for one Friday Night in Napa Valley - other...

Designerang-

Are you sitting down? Most folks are shocked when they find out that most Napa Inns or B&Bs with views of the vineyards/wineries have rates starting at over $400 per night (crazy, eh?). Some are higher-- are you ready for this?-- than $10,000 per NIGHT! This of course includes your own personal butler and room service personnel (a fave choice of Hollywood celebs and power brokers).

You can find less expensive lodging midweek (Sunday -Thursday), and if you forgo the vineyard views, the prices drop significantly.

But-- it's important to note that even the Napa Travelodge has rooms priced at over $200 per night for weekends.

We realize that all of this sounds absolutely crazy-- most folks can't believe the prices for lodging here, especially on weekends (April-Oct is high season).

You will find a place-- but do check out the reviews on TripAdvisor before you book. You'll see that the cheapest places (below $200) are often a bit unsettling for some folks.

Your best best may be to try priceline.com or biddingfortravel.com-- we have read several positive posts from people who have found rooms last minute at great prices using this method. Search the "Napa" (not "Napa Valley") forums for info on this, using the keyword "priceline".

We wish you all the best in your travels!

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

PS For a romantic place to stay in Yosemite, we'd suggest the Ahwahnee Lodge. It's a wonderful place (and serves a great lunch or dinner in their incredible dining room). Even if you find no availability on line, you may luck out if you just show up and ask if they have any rooms.

STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accomodations for one Friday Night in Napa Valley - other...

Napa Valley lodging prices do shock me; we have stayed in beautiful inns with lake view terraces on Lake Como and Lake Lugano in Italy, and a 17th century chateau in the middle of the Burgandy vineyards in France, for half the price of a tiny B&B room in Napa Valley! And the incredible meals in Europe, very few (maybe in Paris) were as pricey as some of the restaurants in wine country. I am trying to prepare my husband for the shock! I have found a few places with availability on one weekend night, but it is either a $150 motel or $325+ inn or B&B, nothing in between!

The place we are staying in Sonoma Valley is $400 and no vineyard views either, although in Mendocino, we found oceanview rooms to be reasonable, compared to wine country prices. Also, lodging in San Fran does not seem out of line, so I guess it is just the wine country and Yosemite. The Awannee lodge starts around $300 and up, and the Yosemite lodge (rustic with no A/C) starts at almost $200 and they are all booked. I guess it is supply and demand at its best.

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accomodations for one Friday Night in Napa Valley - other...

Designerang-

You don't have to be a guest of the Ahwahnee to enjoy a meal there. Their three-story log dining room is spectacular (we couldn't figure out which we liked better: sitting close to the windows and enjoying the mind-boggling view, or sitting in the middle surrounded by the amazing architecture!

Truly a memorable place to nibble! :)

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn

Re: Your Napa conundrum: We were at the Christian Brothers retreat today for a meeting-- they have 16 guest rooms, 2 of which are "suites" for $199/night. We saw suite 202, and thought it was very special (amazing view of their vineyards and lake :) No breakfast, and not a lot of amenities, and 20 minutes outside of town . . . but how many people can say that they stayed at a monastic retreat? (it's worth checking out to see if they have availability-- tell them we sent you! :)

Rohnert Park...
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accomodations for one Friday Night in Napa Valley - other...

Sorry, didn't get back to you sooner. The Silver Rose is on the edge of Calistoga. And yes some of the views are of the vineyards, that you can actually walk through(make sure the room is on the vineyard side). They did include breakfast when we were there and complimentary wine and cheese in the afternoon, but so do most places around that area.

Good luck!

STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accomodations for one Friday Night in Napa Valley - other...

Innkeeper,

1) I can't seem to locate anything on the web for Christian Brothers. Do you have a web address?

2) We are staying at Yosemite View Lodge in El Portal, how long of a drive to Awahnee Lodge? Is it a hairy drive? I don't know if my husband will want to make a long windy drive back in to the park then drive back to hotel after dark and bottle of wine.

Thanks for all of the great info!

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accomodations for one Friday Night in Napa Valley - other...

The drive from Yosemite View to Ahwahanee is only like 30 minutes - easy drive. No mountian driving going from El Portal to the valley since you are going through a...valley!

I thought Christain Bros was sold. Is this not true?

California
Level Contributor
10,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accomodations for one Friday Night in Napa Valley - other...

oops sorry about the Christian Bros. I thought you meant the winery . So as heard on Saturday NIght Live - Never Mind.

Napa, CA
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accomodations for one Friday Night in Napa Valley - other...

Designerang-

You're welcome! :)

Here's the Christian Brothers retreat website:

http://www.christianbrosretreat.com/

Remember, it's not a hotel-- it's a monastic retreat (so you get lots of peace and quiet, but no room service, bellboys, valet parking, etc.)

-The Innkeepers

Napa Old World Inn