We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning first time only 1 day Napa itinerary, suggestions!

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Planning first time only 1 day Napa itinerary, suggestions!

I'm going to stay at SF from 23th (arrive at late night) to 29th, thinking to drive to Napa on 24th and stay there for a night, then back to the city on 25th afternoon.

Have booked Staybridge Suites Fairfield Napa Valley Area, since it's cheap with good reviews, but is it too far from Napa? Should I raise the budget to book Best Western Elm House Inn instead?

For wineries visits, my parents don't speak English, so I think tours could be tricky. Domaine Chandon, V.Sattui, Beringer, Robert Mondavi are my choices, maybe 2 or 3 during the day if we leave SF like 8:30 or 9 AM?

We love to eat, and there's too many choices of good dining places as well, choosing between Redd, Bottega Ristorante and Bistro Jeanty, any suggestions?

oh cos my dad is the only one can drive, but it's better not to drive after wonderful wines, so is it possible for us to find a easy way to travel between SF and Napa? how much it will be for a driver to pick up us?

Really appreciate for all the suggestions, thanks!!

Level Contributor
34,201 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning first time only 1 day Napa itinerary, suggestions!

Bistro Jeanty is excellent, especially if you like smaller venues. Bottega is very energetic and has excellent food also. In Yountville where Chandon is , consider checking out Goosecross Cellars.

Enjoy your time in the wine country! :).

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning first time only 1 day Napa itinerary, suggestions!

Thanks syrahgirl, it gives me some ideas :p BTW, has anybody know "Evans" ? if we decide to not rent a car, can we choose Evans to travel between SF and Napa? I saw the price is reasonable, and they run 9 daily shuttles.wondering if it's convenient for us.

St. Helena...
Destination Expert
for Napa Valley
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning first time only 1 day Napa itinerary, suggestions!

hi Alaerith - yes, Evans Transpo is the local Napa 'airporter' service. Check the payment policy on their website; last time we used Evans, they required cash payment.

That said, how do you expect to get around Napa Valley once you arrive? You can join a group tour or you can hire a private tour guide.

One option is to hire a Napa-based tour guide to spend the day with you touring Napa Valley, and then take you back to S.F. This is not an inexpensive option, but will provide a top quality, one-day experience.

Check here for private tour guide options, most serve both Napa and S.F. clients: Click on 'sightseeing tours':

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g32766-Activitie…

Edited to add: yes, you should stay in Napa, not Fairfield. Well worth the upcharge.

Edited: 26 July 2013, 02:18
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning first time only 1 day Napa itinerary, suggestions!

Thanks a lot Nan,it's really helpful! I've checked, Evans only accept cash, I'll be prepared, as along as they won't drop us after they got the money lol

How stupid am I, I thought we could rent a bike to explore from the Inn, just checked goggle map,I was totally wrong! I think if we want to take Evans, it's better for us to stay in Yountville. if we stay at Best Western Elm House Inn, it's better to rent a car. Am I right? anyone can recommend nice place to stay in Yountville, our budget is about 200

Cos my parents can't speak English, I think private tour maybe a bit waste. We are not expert on wine, I always enjoy sparkling, and I like riesling, dad will love some red, but beginners. so I'm thinking only take one tour maybe Robert Mondavi ? or I saw people say good things about schramsberg. after this maybe Domaine Chandon, V.Sattui dor tasting? then dinner at Redd or Bottega. Is it doable for first time?

St. Helena...
Destination Expert
for Napa Valley
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning first time only 1 day Napa itinerary, suggestions!

If you can get in at Best Western Elm House Inn with your budget, you should definitely do it. The Elm House is in a super convenient location, close to the Hwy 29 corridor where many of the wineries are located, and is highly rated by guests.

If you take the Evans Airporter to Napa you'll need a way to get around the valley. Once you're here, renting a car is inconvenient and expensive. Suggest joining a small group tour, such as Platypus or Beau, who will pick you up at your hotel, take you to 4 wineries and provide lunch. That way, you don't need to worry about drinking and driving.

www.platypustours.com/join-in-wine-tours.php

beauwinetours.com/napa-valley-wine-tours/…

Dinner in Yountville is a great idea ... Redd, Bottega, Bistro Jeanty are all excellent, but very popular so make reservations ASAP. You'll need to take a taxi or shuttle from the hotel to Yountville for dinner. Then take the Evans bus back to the airport following day.

Edited: 27 July 2013, 16:16
Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,196 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning first time only 1 day Napa itinerary, suggestions!

The BW Elm House is a decent place to stay if you have a car. It's not so great if you don't. Car rental is really the way to go and then have a designated driver. Group tours are probably not a good option if the language can't be understood by your parents.

If you really want to be carless and have dinner in Yountville, stay in Yountville. Evans can deliver you there and pick you up for a substantial fee.

Or, stay in downtown Napa and dine there. Getting to Yountville by taxi is expensive. Downtown Napa has many fine restaurants, many of which are the equal of the over-hyped ones in Yountville.

If you really want to dine in Yountville and stay in Napa without a car, you could stay at the Marriott and take a Vine bus up to Yountville. It just takes 25 minutes and runs once an hour in both directions.

But really, the best way to see the Napa Valley is by driving. Rental cars make your visit much more enjoyable and allow you more flexibility. If you don't want to rent in SF, it's not difficult or expensive to rent one in Napa.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning first time only 1 day Napa itinerary, suggestions!

Thanks a lot, I'll go with a car! Thank you all for the help, I'll try to make a report later :p

Level Contributor
34,201 posts
884 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning first time only 1 day Napa itinerary, suggestions!

Looking forward to your report! :)

9. Re: Planning first time only 1 day Napa itinerary, suggestions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2014, 06:19