We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starting with Sparking Wine: Updated Schedule - feedback pls

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
Starting with Sparking Wine: Updated Schedule - feedback pls

I've done my best to schedule ourselves around the valley. Here's what I've come up with so far. I'd love any and all feedback! We're trying to see as much as we can, while sticking with 'the best of' so to speak. We are not interested in lengthy tours, or really pretentious, stuffy tasting rooms. We'll most likely share a tasting to be able to visit a few extra per day. I love sparkling, and my husband is game for anything really, but we prefer whites, and light reds.

I would love your help to suggest where i've listed TBD's below. Any thoughts on Day 3, as we exit Napa Valley for Portland (driving, but in no big hurry), and visiting Castello di Amorosa? Is it worth it?

Are we missing anything spectacular?

Day 1 Napa

Drive from Santa Cruz to Napa

Breakfast in Santa Cruz

Stop 1: Domaine Carneros for tasting and lunch

Stop 2: Winery TBD between Carneros and Chandon

Stop 3: Domaine Chandon

Stop 4: Winery around Chandon TBD?

Check into hotel

Visit Yountville

Dinner: Bottega, Yountville

Day 2 Napa

Breakfast at Hotel

Cake Bread

Mumm

Scribe

Round Pond

Picnic Lunch TBD??

Silverado

Dinner: TBD??

Day 3

Breakfast at Hotel

Drive from Napa to Portland/CA

Castello de Amoroso

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Starting with Sparking Wine: Updated Schedule - feedback pls

Hoping to get some help as our trip is this week! Thank you in advance. :)

Level Contributor
35,228 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Starting with Sparking Wine: Updated Schedule - feedback pls

Goosecross in Yountville is a nice one by Chandon. Yes, Castillo di Amerosa is worth it! :)

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,409 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Starting with Sparking Wine: Updated Schedule - feedback pls

Are you driving to Portland in one day? If so, I would take I-5 instead of 101.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Starting with Sparking Wine: Updated Schedule - feedback pls

Superlicious, we are allowing ourselves one night along the way to be able to enjoy the scenic drive.

St. Helena...
Destination Expert
for Napa Valley
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Starting with Sparking Wine: Updated Schedule - feedback pls

Some suggestions ...

DAY 1 - After driving from Santa Cruz to Napa, my guess is that you'll be good for 2 winery stops that afternoon, tops. Since you're into sparkling, make those stops at Domaine Carneros and Domain Chandon. You can't get lunch at Domaine Carneros, but you can pick up food across the Highway at the deli at the Carneros Inn. Or, at the Fremont Diner on Hwy 121, before arriving at Domaine Carneros. If after checking in you still have plenty of energy, Yountville has several in-town tasting rooms you could visit before dining at Bottega.

DAY 2 - Most of the wineries you listed require reservations. Start by making appointments ASAP, connect the dots and then fill in the day with the other wineries on that route. For lunch, picnic at Rutherford Hill (reservations required) or dine on the Bistro Terrace at Auberge du Soleil or the Rutherford Grill in Rutherford. For dinner, choose from among the many dining options in downtown Napa.

DAY 3 - When leaving Napa for Oregon, take Silverado Trail north (very scenic), plan to stop at Mumm Napa for more sparkling (opens at 10am), and then cross-over westbound to Hwy 29 at Deer Park Rd. to proceed north to Castello. Finally, head north via Hwy 29/128 through Alexander Valley and on to Hwy 101 northbound to the border. Plenty of winery options throughout Calistoga, Knights Valley and Alexander Valley, right on the highway. Two fun stops on this route: the Jimtown Store and Francis Ford Coppola Winery in Geyserville. Further along, north of Ukiah, you would enjoy stopping at the historic Benbow Inn in Garberville - lovely English Tudor architecture, pretty setting on the river.

Plot all 3 days out on these maps:

http://napavintners.com/maps/index.asp

Map of Alexander Valley:

http://alexandervalley.org/map/winery-map/

Have fun and write a trip report when you return!

Edited: 01 October 2013, 23:41
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Starting with Sparking Wine: Updated Schedule - feedback pls

Nanci, thank you SO much! I have just called to reserve at the places i've listed, and rearranged based on your recommendations. We will certainly follow your advice for our stay, and our drive to Portland! I appreciate your response and will be back to contribute when I return.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,409 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Starting with Sparking Wine: Updated Schedule - feedback pls

Two days is not really enough time to enjoy your drive to Portland via Hwy 101 especially at this time of year. If you want to spend any time in the redwoods, you should get a early start to your drive from Napa. It's four hours to the Avenue of the Giants in Humboldt Redwoods State Park which is one of the most impressive redwood parks. We were there yesterday and at this time of year, the optimal lighting is from between 11 and 3. After 3, the sun begins to set behind the mountains and the redwood groves begin to darken and get gloomy. From Weott, where the Visitor Center is, it's another three hours to Crescent City which is where you should probably spend the night so that you can enjoy the next day driving the Oregon Coast.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Starting with Sparking Wine: Updated Schedule - feedback pls

Thanks supercilious, we will do our best to head out early and enjoy the redwoods.

9. Re: Starting with Sparking Wine: Updated Schedule - feedback pls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2014, 05:19