We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help narrow choices - where to stay in Napa area?

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
help narrow choices - where to stay in Napa area?

Okay, I have been looking at which wineries and tastings or tours... But, where I am completely drawing a blank is where to stay. Just a couple of nights. Looking to stay within a reasonable budget, so the nicer Inns, and locations other than Napa, are probably out of reach. But, we are looking for a nice experience.

To be honest, before doing further research, I was happy to be leaning towards Villo Bello. We could get a full 1-BR unit there for about the same price as some of these others, using coupon code. The reviews show no complaints about the rooms being dated... but photos seem to indicate that they have not been renovated. Recent photos look exactly the same as photos from several years ago. And, one recent review mentions 'new rooms'????

We don’t mind getting just a room, if it is a nice sized room at a nice resort...

We do prefer something with some exterior opening, small patio/balcony, or even larger windows that can be opened.

I am reading that somebody got Andaz on Priceline for a great rate... But, to be honest, for the regular price, the photos of the room do not do much for me. (except they are supposed to have really good bathrooms)

Wonder if we could find a good rate somewhere for the Marriott. It looks nice.

Embassy Suites is supposed to have a good location to hit the road on winery tours... and include breakfast. But, that awful, busy gray and yellow, wallpaper is enough to make me write them off. Silly, I know! (I wonder if one could get them for a much better rate on priceline?)

Love the thought of 1801 First Luxury Inn. Seems nice with incredible breakfast and evening wine and cheese pairings. But, the location, right on a street-corner in a busy neighborhood thoroughfare, that concerns me. Any thoughts on this, from those who are familiar with the area? Would it seem like we are staying in a person's house, in a close neighborhood? We are not huge B&B people. But, I wonder if this might be closer to saying at a small Inn.

Any input would be helpful. Thanks!

Edited: 17 March 2014, 14:22
Level Contributor
36,173 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help narrow choices - where to stay in Napa area?

We enjoyed a very pleasant stay at Old World Inn. They offer many nice amenities including wine tasting in the evening, homemade breakfast in the wine cellar, desserts in the evening, tasting passes and personable service. :)

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help narrow choices - where to stay in Napa area?

The Vino Bello just opened a few years ago so the rooms have not needed renovation. It's a timeshare complex and is south of downtown about ten minutes.

Your other choices are fine too but I can't comment on wallpaper or bathrooms. The Marriott is very popular and is in a good location. There are many fine B&Bs in downtown Napa so one of them could work for you.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,342 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help narrow choices - where to stay in Napa area?

Budget numbers would help.

I like staying in St Helena, Calistoga and Yountville over the city of Napa. When I stay in the city it is usually for business.

There are a good number of what I would call reasonably priced hotels in all these cities, but my idea of reasonable and yours might be vastly different.

I think the Four Sisters Inns are reasonable, but it also depends on time of year and days of the week.

http://www.foursisters.com/index.htm

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help narrow choices - where to stay in Napa area?

Thanks!

I am looking into those recommendations.

A room at the Marriott can be $300.00

Some of these others have options in that price range.

Just realized that my husband can get a great rate at the SpringHill Suites, which unfortunately is just South of Napa.... But at nearly half the cost, Hhhmm???? that would pay for wine tastings/tours and dining.

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help narrow choices - where to stay in Napa area?

Springhill Suites is just a few minutes south of the Vino Bello in a corporate park. There is one restaurant nearby, a brewpub but for most dining, you will have to drive into Napa which is 10 - 15 minutes away. The place gets pretty nice reviews but it is isolated.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
27,921 posts
5,891 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help narrow choices - where to stay in Napa area?

We have stayed at Vino Bello - we stayed in the one bedroom and it was fabulous. Gorgeous outside balcony; large gourmet kitchen, comfortable bed; nice living room with fireplace. Nicely decorated - the reason why it is a steal is that it is 5 minutes south of Napa. It is nicer than Best Western Elm House Inn (which I have enjoyed); nicer then the bed and breakfasts I have stayed at (note: they do have a breakfast restaurant on site; plus a nice bar, swimming pool; onsite winery, etc. also at Vino Bello.

Can you still get the deal? Its a very lovely place to stay. Springhill Suites - uh, really? You are talking the difference between a top resort with beautiful condo style room versus a dull industrial motel. Sonopaoma - you might want to stop by sometime and see this place.

We were skeptical - we stayed for 5 days -

and its a wonderful place to stay.

(note: Do not tell anyone as I like to keep this great place to myself) (smile)

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help narrow choices - where to stay in Napa area?

OMG, thanks Mini.... if your stay was recent, that is the kind of reassurance that we need...

A 1/BR would still cost us quite a bit. But, would def. be worth it if this place is not 'dated'...

Photos show the rooms look the same for quite few years now!

This resort has been there longer than one night think!

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help narrow choices - where to stay in Napa area?

"This resort has been there longer than one night think!"

The original two buildings were built in 2006. The third building opened in 2011. The Vino Bello is one of the youngest resorts in the Napa Valley.

U.S.
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: help narrow choices - where to stay in Napa area?

Thanks! That helps explain.

I'll bet the 'newer room' that one recent reviewer mentioned is in that third building, which is new. I understand that the resort is fairly new. But I was thinking, 8 years, and no room renovations?

I just double checked some prices...

Even with the 25%, once we would pay resort fees and breakfast, literally double the SpringHill suites if my husband can get that rate. (It does look like a nice place, with nice outdoor areas, pool, lobby, full sized more spacious suites, etc.)

On our budget, I think that might have to be a factor.

That would pay for some nice dining or tastings/tours!

Thanks everyone!

Edited: 20 March 2014, 18:43
Boston...
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: help narrow choices - where to stay in Napa area?

,Wine Valley Lodge

3.5 of 5 stars 294 Reviews

Swimming Pool,Just off Highway 29, a short drive from downtown Napa, California, minutes from several wineries, this motel offers a free continental breakfast every morning and free parking.

Wine Valley Lodge features an outdoor pool and barbecue areas. Guests will also appreciate in-room microwaves and mini-refrigerators at this completely non-smoking motel.

Guests at the Wine Valley Lodge can take a Napa Valley Wine Country Tour or take a scenic balloon ride above the valley. Within driving distance, guests can spend the day at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom or tour the Jelly Belly factory.,,I drove by this on our last day then looked at them for our next trip.

Get answers to your questions about Napa Valley